What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brown in ''Color Balance''

ingyaningya

I am trying to color a b/w picture using only "Color Balance", and I need to make a wooden fence brown. How do I make brown using "Color Balance" tool?

Color Balance isn't available on a B&W image so you must have a desaturated RGB image.
It's much easier to use Hue/Saturation and check the Colorize box.

Of course with either method you're tinting the whole image not just the fence.

How do I make brown using "Color Balance" tool?
On a RGB desaturated image move the red slider to the right and play with the other sliders until you like the results.

zip your red and green up and add a little blue

red is the highest, then green, then blue
midtones: crank the red all the way; green less, blue even less
highlights, same idea but all of them lower
shadows same idea but lower even than highlights

Some numbers I used on a B&W (doesn't mean numbers will be the same for your image)
midtones: 100/78/40
highlights: 71/57/47
shadows: 76/58/51

Last edited:
well it all depends on the colour you have to start with I assume your inverting a layer mask and then painting in where you want th colour. I got a brown on a dark grey image with settings
shadows red and cyan channel -34
midtones
red and cyan + 97
yellow and blue -20
but like I said all depends on the colour your changing

yes it is possible I have coloured in whole portraits using only this method it is brilliant and very simple to do. The same can be done with curves and hue saturation adjustment layers.

Back