What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brush cursor question

rolld

Please forgive such a lame question in advance. But I have watched some vids on youtube and when they are using the brush tool the cursor has the circle with smaller circle inside it. What is that and how do I toggle it on or off?

Thank you very much.Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 2.24.04 PM.png

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...What is that and how do I toggle it on or off?...
I've never seen a PS cursor like that before. ACR has double ring cursors but the outer one is usually dashed.

It doesn't look like a brush 'shape' outline so it could be down to the system and or device that this particular version of Photoshop is installed on.

It could be a GFX card option, OS option or something completely unrelated.....its not an option in PS though so there is no way to 'toggle' it on or off.

Why not post a link to a video where you have seen this.....then we can see for ourselves why its like that.

Regards.
MrToM.

rolld

Thanks for the reply. It looks like she is pressing a key to activate that extra circle. I could be very wrong.

MrToM

Guru
Yeah....she's using a Mac and they do have different options in the preferences.

As a Windows user I couldn't tell you what they are but its certainly not something you'll find in a PC version.

You may just have to sit tight for a while until a Mac user takes a look.

Sorry I can't be of more help to ya.

Regards.
MrToM.

rolld

Not a problem at all and thanks for looking. Just was curious what it was all about.

Thanks again.

Yeah....she's using a Mac and they do have different options in the preferences.

As a Windows user I couldn't tell you what they are but its certainly not something you'll find in a PC version.

You may just have to sit tight for a while until a Mac user takes a look.

Sorry I can't be of more help to ya.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
At a guess the 'outer' ring will be the absolute size of the brush.....feathering included.

The 'inner' ring will be 100% opacity only...

...at a guess.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Two things, first.......... great video! This is how I have done my Dodging & Burning for years.

Second, I have a mac and I'm running CS6 ext, I don't have this cursor option at all nor is it in a shortcut key. I thought it could be associated with a tablet, but it's not an option for my wacom.

I would leave a comment on that video an see if she will answer. I've read through the comments to see if someone else asked her that same question and they hadn't. She seems like she's pretty good about responding.

rolld

Thanks for the reply. And thank you for the info on the tablet. I was wondering if it had anything to do with that.

I have went thru every setting/preference that I can think of and can not find anything like that cursor. I'm sure you have way more experience than me with PS so thanks for confirming.

I'll leave her a comment and see what she says.

Thanks again!

Two things, first.......... great video! This is how I have done my Dodging & Burning for years.

Second, I have a mac and I'm running CS6 ext, I don't have this cursor option at all nor is it in a shortcut key. I thought it could be associated with a tablet, but it's not an option for my wacom.

I would leave a comment on that video an see if she will answer. I've read through the comments to see if someone else asked her that same question and they hadn't. She seems like she's pretty good about responding.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The thought occurred to me that this could also be a feature of her screen capture program.

rolld

Your completly correct. I got in touch with her and that's what she said. It was her recording program.

Mystery solved lol.

Thanks everyone.

The thought occurred to me that this could also be a feature of her screen capture program.