What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

brush setting

pslane

I often need a brush head with tapered ends in my projects. With CS3, it's usually no problem. But with CC 2015, I am having a hard time with it, even after looking it up at adobe.com. Can someone give me the settings for this? I have a screenshot but it's very poor quality. ~Thanks

Attachments

• cc-15.jpg
    cc-15.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 20

pslane

Wow, after having so many replies poured in, I did some researching and really came up with nothing.
https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...s-ps-cs.html?highlight=tapered+brush+settings
That's about all I got. I am using a Wacom tablet but I still can't get a setting to produce a tapered line. In shape dynamics, if I put "fade" under size jitter, I get a "half tapered" line. And I know there is a way to get the line tapered at both ends, but can't remember how. Funny thing is, with my CS3, the tapered line was always there when I DIDN'T need it (like a default and had to unset it every time I used brush settings. I have PSCC-2015, also, and no luck there, either.

Here is the settings and result in the tut I am working on. See the tapered ends?

Attachments

• ps31.jpg
    ps31.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 12

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Try this. Use a REGULAR round brush.

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 11.58.44 AM copy.png

This is what your brushes panel will look like after you click those two icons.

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 12.03.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 11.58.58 AM.png

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Works for me...

brush_MT_01.png

Maybe you don't have OpenGL active or just don't have a GFX card that supports it?

Check out the 'Performance' in preferences and make sure OpenGL is on and set correctly.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Works for me as well without the icons clicked, as long as I have the pen pressure selected under size jitter.

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 12.19.37 PM copy.png

MrToM

Guru
Yeah....I just checked my other machine and when 'Size Jitter' is set to 'Pen Pressure' it shows a warning triangle with the following tooltip:

"Control by 'Pen Pressure' requires the use of a pressure sensitive tablet."

...so maybe that's the problem?

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes. Perhaps re-installing the Wacom software or checking for updates.

pslane said:
Wow, after having so many replies poured in,
Now that we are responding, pslane is no longer responding.

pslane

My problem is SOLVED!. IamSam, when you mentioned drivers and updates, I got busy and went to Wacom support and 2 very nice techs with accents talked me through uninstalling, downloading and reinstalling a new driver. Now it's working fine. The reason I was using that brush was the tutorial was about making your own brushes for an abstract looking image. http://designstacks.net/color-nuke-special-effects Thanks to everybody for working with me on this problem. :beerchug:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's great! I'm glad you have it worked out. I was running out of ideas. I think MrTom was the first to mention that it could be a problem with the tablet, i just expounded on that possibility.

pslane

Yes, he did and I appreciate all the screenshots, too. Here's my last screenshot I forgot to attach, looking like it's supposed to. That's the way mine turned out.

Attachments

• ps32.jpg
    ps32.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 6