What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Cannot save because disk is full" but disk is not full

Vcize

I am working on a large 2gb tiff panorama. I have saved it plenty of times before. After doing some work today, I went to save it and I get an error "Cannot save file because disk is full". The disk is very much not full. There was 15gb of free space on the disk when I tried to save (now down to 6gb because each time I try and save it eats up 2gb that it does not release back when the error pops up), and my scratch disk has 60gb of free space as well. What is going on here?

I don't want to exit out of the program as I've made quite a few changes to the file that I don't want to lose since I can't save.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi Vcize...

There could be a few ways.... but before you give up and close PS.....

Minimize your CS to task bar..... You need to find and delete the tmp files in Photoshop's TEMP folder or scratch disk. I suspect you have a lot of these from old work or when your PS crashed or even from power fluctuation or outages.

Give that a try.....

You might also want to try saving your work with a different file name....

Or save as a PSB. If that works, restart PS , open file then try save as a psd or whatever you intended to save it as. If that doesn't work, at least you have your work safe until you can figure out what the problem is....

One more thing.... What is your cpu and Photoshop version?

MrToM

Guru
Photoshop doesn't always recognize the total amount of free space on a drive.
Its an old PS7, [Thanks dv8], bug although as to whether it ever got fixed is anybody's guess.

Try to free up some space on the drive or try saving to another drive if you have one.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Photoshop doesn't always recognize the total amount of free space on a drive.
Its an old PS7, [Thanks dv8], bug although as to whether it ever got fixed is anybody's guess.

Try to free up some space on the drive or try saving to another drive if you have one.

Regards.
MrTom.

I use PS7 as well and yes, I get that message now and then most especially with huge files.

Some have said it could be saved in a different drive. If the drive is partitioned, you may have to re-partition your cpu so's to minimize or even solve the problem.

There's a fix for this I once had but never used it as I came up with my panic button fix - save as PSB.... lol. Or if all else fails, close PS or force restart with a heavy heart hoping I remember what I did in the last session and go through all that work again........ :banghead: