What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CC 2014 Font Preview Memory Leak

MrToM

Guru
Some of you may have already seen me ranting on about a memory leak in Photoshop on more than one occasion.

Once PS is opened, and without loading an image, in fact not doing anything at all, PS would sit there quite happily racking up the memory usage......I've had it past 25GB before now (over several hours but still....)

Well tonight, today, this morning....geeze its 4.20AM! I finally tracked down the culprit....Font Preview.

TYPE > Font Preview Size

The instant I set this to 'None' the memory stops increasing.......dead. :yourock:
Setting it back to any of the options and it starts rising slowly again......can't Adobe get anything right? :banghead:

So, you'd think that was it.....right? :yourock:

Wrong. :banghead:

There is now another issue......not really a bug or a problem but definitely a 'Friday Afternoon' decision none-the-less. :banghead:

Photoshop 're-uses' memory! :eek::shocked:
What this means is that say you open a really big RAW file...PS will use GB's of memory to cope with it.....this in itself isn't a problem....BUT...

If you then close that file PS doesn't release that memory. :banghead:
This means that if you subsequently open smaller files they will still use GB's of memory......regardless. :banghead:

I guess Adobe expect us to open files in order of filesize eh? Sheeeeesh! :banghead:

So the workround for that is to close PS and re-open it....as if it wasn't bad enough! :banghead:

Apparently this has been happening for some time, (both issues), and yet......well, you know the rest.:banghead:

So this is kind of a 'Heads Up' solution if you find your PC is gradually getting slower for no apparent reason....I don't know if this affects Mac users, sorry.

FGS ADOBE Its 2015!

[end rant]

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
[end rant]

Regards.
MrTom.

Don't look at me.... I'm still on PS7, remember?

:eek: :rofl:

@MrTom....

But for what it's worth....

If it's really a bug and present even in earlier versions of CS, it would explain why my cpu slows down considerably to a painful crawl whenever I open my CS with other robust graphics applications running not to mention internet tabs open. And it's been that way since I was on CS4.

It's different whenever I run other applications. Of course, a little cpu crunching is to be expected. But a CAD application? It should also be cruncher. Even if I run Bryce or Hexagon, which are 3d intensive, my cpu is still manageable...

Move a bit over please, MrTom..... I wanna squeeze into the picket line.....

Adobeh.png Adobleh.pngAdobeh.png

MrToM

Guru
Well....I'll have to give you that one.....darn!

Regards.
MrINeedMyUsernameChangingPlease.