What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change Black Colour (Fabric)

d_animality

Hi... please teach me how to change this black hat into other colours?

ive been youtube-ing ways and following it exactly but the outcome is disappointing... mostly the youtube change coloursof cars, gloves which looks perfect.. but this fabric... it looks weird...

please guide me thank you.. here i attached the psd file itself

Attachments

• black.psd
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: A.J
black.jpg

Ok. So messed with this real quickly. So that is why the edges of the hat look so bad.

First I made a selection of the just the hat. Use which ever method you prefer to do that.

I then plressed CTRL/CMD+J to duplicate into it's own layer.

I then changed the blending mode to Linear Dodge (add) and left it black.

I then duplicated the hat only layer again and changed it to Linear Dodge (add).

Now with the top most hat layer, I did a CTRL/CMD+click on the layer thumbnail to make a quick selection around the hat. I then grabbed my brush and painted it a new color.

I then added a levels adjustment layer with clipping mask selected and adjusted it until it looked good.

NOW, that all being said. I don't know if this will work for every black fabric out there. But in this instance it worked pretty good. One other note. The linear dodge works best with darker colors. It doesn't work so well is bright colors. If you want a bright color just mess with the layer blending mode and see what you can come up with.

Hope that helps. :D

Last edited:
hi thanks... i also tried with another method and get almost the same result as yours (but urs better) ... but still it doesnt look real or smooth as what i want it to be... i want to change it into light pink actually.. is that possible?

hi thanks... i also tried with another method and get almost the same result as yours (but urs better) ... but still it doesnt look real or smooth as what i want it to be... i want to change it into light pink actually.. is that possible?
Of course it is possible. Funny, I actually tried it with a pink at first. Like I said, you have to play with the settings. You have to have the time, and the commitment, to sit down and play with Photoshop. There is rarely an instance where you can pop a photo in to PS and click one button to fix something. There is a lot of technique involved. Anyway, try the method I used and see if you can get it to look right first. Post your result here, regardless the result, and we can help you figure it out from there.

The reason you are having trouble changing the color of the hat is because there is very, very little texture or any other detail (eg, shine, side-to-side brightness variations) in the hat to start with. It is almost perfectly black, so that if one tries to change it into a bright color, you are going to magnify all of the sensor noise as well as jpg and other artifacts, so it's just not going to look like cloth any more. This may seem to be a simple challenge, but since you are starting with almost no data in that area, it's more difficult than you may think.

If you want it bright (and realistic) your best bet is to find a photo of cloth (or even a hat) with the texture, color and brightness that you want, and then insert it into your image using the same techniques one would use to reconstruct a old damaged photo with missing areas. This can be complicated, but fortunately there are many tutorials and threads on this, so I'm not going to elaborate further here.

However, if you would be happy with darker colors, you can probably get away with straightforward moderate brightening of the current, almost black hat followed by weak colorization. One can try to utilize blending modes (as suggested above), but I took a more straightforward approach: a couple of "levels" adjustment layers (with blendIF sliders used to control contrast, ie, control areas which might become overly bright), followed by one hue/saturation adjustment layer set to normal mode, and a second set to "colorize" mode to introduce color where it really doesn't exist. I also used blendIF adjustments on the hue/sat layers to control the application of color to certain tonal ranges. The steps in the process, as well as a couple of different color options are shown in the attached GIF. It's far from perfect, but since the remainder of the image is a bit OOF and has other problems, you might be able to get away with this approach.

HTH,

Tom M

PS - Since I didn't know how much texture that particular hat really has (depending on the part of the world it is from), I guessed and gave it quite a bit of texture - almost wool-like. If it actually is smoother, then one would use slightly different adjustments -- less contrast in the hat after brightening, more emphasis on the introduction of untexturized color. If you could provide a good quality photo of the texture/shine/brightness/color you are looking for, we would have something definite to work from.

Attachments

• black-tjm01-ps03a_sRGB_8bpc_for_gif-01.gif
    black-tjm01-ps03a_sRGB_8bpc_for_gif-01.gif
    278.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
@OP - Ahh, I see that I was working on your image and typing when you posted the information that you were looking for a brighter, pink, smooth cloth look, not my wooly dark look. As I suggested in my previous post, if you can find a photo of the type of cloth it actually is made from, then we can guide you better instead of guessing.

Tom

@disturbed - I then added a levels adjustment layer with clipping mask selected and adjusted it until it looked good. - im doin ur method but can u explain what is this process?

@Tom - unfortunately i dont have other colour of the same material.. its hard...... yea the problem is with the noise and makes it look unrealistic... :S ...

@disturbed - I then added a levels adjustment layer with clipping mask selected and adjusted it until it looked good. - im doin ur method but can u explain what is this process?

@Tom - unfortunately i dont have other colour of the same material.. its hard...... yea the problem is with the noise and makes it look unrealistic... :S ...

How about this?
Adjustment-layer.gif

"@Tom - unfortunately i dont have other colour of the same material.. its hard...... yea the problem is with the noise and makes it look unrealistic... :S ..."

I don't understand. Is the boy actually wearing the material of interest in that picture but it came out almost black because photographic or lighting problems caused it to be underexposed?

Or, is the color that you want something that you have seen and liked, and you are telling us that you can't find an example of the color or fabric anywhere on the internet?

Also, you keep referring to the color you want as "pink". Is this what you really mean? For example this is pink:
http://image.dhgate.com/albu_293446775_00-1.0x0/new-dogs-clothes-pet-clothing-cute-pet-pink.jpg

... Or might you mean some other variant of red, such as is more commonly used in fezes, like this "maroon" color:
http://vhsdata.dyndns.info/ebayImages/193300_Maroon.jpg

T

yea.. i mean the pink one ( the first link )... actually i want to change the colour of the skirt of the same material but it is inappropriate to post her pic so i use this one instead since this and that skirt are of the same thing

Sometimes the fish is bigger than the rod

It seems to me it would be far easier for people to understand if you post the result that you want to improve upon. If it's a matter privacy, just blur or black out the face.

I'm not sure he is capable of that. Either he is REALLY new to PS, or we being trolled.

seriously?? why wud i want to do that.... i can understand photoshop very well (and by simply blackening or blurring is not that hard)... its just this changing colour hinders my progress..

and if im trolling u... why wud i waste my time replying all ur texts??

well here u go.. im sending the ones ure requesting.... notice the black skirt at the back? i want that to light pink to match the shirt... and i want it to look natural... (if that is possible) .. if its not then dont mind...

Attachments

• skirt.psd
    6.7 MB · Views: 18
seriously?? why wud i want to do that.... i can understand photoshop very well (and by simply blackening or blurring is not that hard)... its just this changing colour hinders my progress..

and if im trolling u... why wud i waste my time replying all ur texts??

well here u go.. im sending the ones ure requesting.... notice the black skirt at the back? i want that to light pink to match the shirt... and i want it to look natural... (if that is possible) .. if its not then dont mind...

Sorry man. I didn't mean to offend. But as pointed out already it would help if we could see some of your attempts. Otherwise it starts to look like you are just trying to get us to do it under the guise of asking for help.

My thoughts are that if you can't find the right color you want, find something close. It is far easier to use a hue/sat adjustment layer on a color already in the same family and you can play with the sliders till you get it exactly right. Or you can use the other methods (like shifty's initial advice) and change the black from the original, not by making a selection to replace -- though that is an excellent way of dealing with the issue. As othrs have said, without seeing the skirt fabric, it's hard to advise what method might work best. Try them both!

As for the borderlines remarks, d-animality is possibly not an English primary language speaker, so there might be miscommunication because of that. Whatever his level of PS skill, he has been registered on the forum for 2 years and is unquestionably a respected member.

So please temper your statements and . . . take a deep breath y'all! :devilish:

Last edited:
...... Now. if it were me the deleted button would comein handy

Last edited:
She knows we're adults, iDad. That's exactly why Clare felt comfortable using the red letters. ;-)

In preschool, and all the way through high school in some areas, teachers are told not to use a red pen because it will harm the psyche of the kids.:rolleyes:

:rofl:

T

Oh heck, I take your point. But it is only a comment, not a condescension made to those who I think should hear it, adult or otherwise, lol. Nevertheless, back to black . . .

@OP - Just to be sure I/we don't spend our time going in the wrong direction, let me check:

a) You want her fez to be pink like the brightest pinks in the psd file you just posted;

b) You want the fabric of the fez to be smooth. Is it supposed to be smooth and shiny, or smooth but not shiny?

c) You have searched Google Images carefully and couldn't find an example of some garment (hopefully, a fez) similar to the one you want. I ask this because Clare's comments about starting with something close is vastly easier than starting with a black, or other color that is dissimilar to the end goal. Basically, you can save the people who are helping you a lot of time if you spend time yourself looking for a good starting point.

Thanks,

Tom

Back