What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Circle with spikes?

Oprawindfury

Hello!

I stumbled upon this picture and caught my interest.

shopgurus.jpg

I've been fooling around in PS but can't figure out how to create the spikes that is the base in the letters. The more central the spikes go, the thicker they get.
I found out that using Gradient tool - > Filter / Disort / Wave - > Filter / Disort / Polar Coordinates gets me pretty close to what I want to achieve.

gurusshop.jpggurus2.jpg

Now to my problems: First, I want a lot more spikes, similar to my inspiration picture.
Second is that the white doesn't stay transparent after the effects

Anyone that have any tips ;)

EDIT: If it's better to make it in Illustrator, then I'm up for that!

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Oprawindfury IamSam

Sam's procedure will work but I would also like to add....

1. Create the spoke circle on a large document (2000 x 2000 at 150pxls). This way you end up with a small intersection center spot and no need to resize it as it will become heavily pixelated if you do. It's even better to create this in Illustrator (If you can) as the output is much crisper and import the AI file into PS.

2. As a variation of Sam's procedure in the posted thread link..... rather than create a "second hand" line, create a full line from top to bottom and continue on with the rest of his procedure......

... just my 2 sens... :cheesygrin:

Oprawindfury

Ah yes! But is it the same procedure in Illustrator swell? I'm going to try that out IamSam, even do i think painting the spoke can be hard and my computer probably gonna lag doing si many :rolleyes: