What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clipping Mask disappears

Leisha

Hello!

I am working on a project and I am trying to create an overlay for a mockup. I created a rectangle with a fill to create a clipping mask but when I apply the clipping mask, the mask and the fill disappears. I have tried using a copy of the layer then creating the clipping mask but nothing I try to do is working. Any suggestions?

MrToM

Guru
Can you post a screen shot of your layers panel?

Its often the easiest way to solve any layer problem if we can see it.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
You sound like Microsoft. :rofl:

Standing by!

:popcorn:

Regards.
MrToM.

Leisha

I'm from the South and I served as a Sailor, lol! Formality is HARDWIRED into me! lol

Attachments

• Clipping Mask.jpg
    Clipping Mask.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 13

MrToM

Guru
No worries...it just made me chuckle.

So.....you say the 'mask' and the fill disappears.....yet there is no mask on any of the layers in question....??

One thing you cannot do here is set your 'Middle Green Tint' layer to be a clipping mask over a shape which has effects applied to it.

If you convert the 'Middle 1' layer to a Smart Object then the clipping mask should work...

convert_to_smart_object_MT_01.png

Not sure if I've understood the problem correctly but replicating your set-up this works for me.

Regards.
MrToM.

Leisha

Perfect! Wow, now that you've explained it, I feel I somehow should have known that. My reaction was a mix of "ah-ha!" and "DUH!" Thank you for your help, MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
No worries...

What you did before...I think...is just the same so you were right all the time....the only 'GOTCHA' was the fact that you had 'fx' on the shape layer....if you turn off the effects it works as expected.

You could of course rasterize it and then it wouldn't need to be a Smart Object' but if you want to keep everything 'non-destructive' then smart objects are your friends.

Any more probs just shout.

Regards.
MrToM.

Leisha

MrToM

I have a logo that accompanies my mock-up. The logo must be affixed while maintaining the effect of the can. Here is a screenshot of said logo. I also have a screenshot of my best attempt. I will post it as well and hope that you're able to guide me through my apparent oblivion.

Thanks in advance,

Leisha

Attachments

• MockUp2.jpg
    MockUp2.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 1

Leisha

Okay, MrToM...

Here goes:

I used the Overlay setting after creating a clipping mask, but it looks... bleh. I have an updated version of CS6 from the version used in the assignment so the instructions and recommended commands really don't work for me. I try to make my own attempts at it, but it doesn't all go well. Any suggestions for this?

Thanks,

Leisha

Attachments

• MockUp3.jpg
    MockUp3.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 3

MrToM

Guru
...I have an updated version of CS6 from the version used in the assignment so the instructions and recommended commands really don't work for me...
I have no idea what this means....instructions?

...Any suggestions for this?...
Not sure I fully understand what you need suggestions for to be honest......'bleh' could mean literally anything.

The only thing I would say, as it stands, is that it may be a little bright, but then you may want it that way...I dunno.

Regards.
MrToM.

Leisha

My apologies. I am a student and this mock-up is for an assignment. The end result I posted in the thread isn't the desired effect, it shouldn't be that bright and should blend more with the can itself. I have instructions from a tutorial to follow per the assignment, but I use Creative Cloud CS6, so some of the steps don't work for me, the screenshots for the tutorial are outdated. I'm experimenting but not achieving the correct result. Waiting for example to upload will post momentarily.

Leisha

MrToM,

The desired effect should be as close as possible to the attached. I'm sorry for being so vague.

Thank you,

Leisha

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    522.6 KB · Views: 4

Leisha

IAmSam

Hard Light actually worked. I didn't realize I had another suggestion until after I replied to MrToM. You guys have really helped me out, thank you for your time and patience.

Leisha

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

Sometimes just cycling through the options, like blending modes, can work.

That's what I do anyway......try everything...something may work....eventually.

Regards.
MrToM.