What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Collage templates for photoshop?

LenaVerbena

Hi,
I would like to make numerous "collage" or gallery style images for a website. I have been trying to create them from scratch in PS but finding it much more difficult than I expected to achieve a polished look. I wonder if anyone knows of a template that is free to use? I would like something that is approximately 960 by 430 pixels (or can be resized to that horizontal layout) and will allow pictures of different shapes/sizes of squares and rectangles to fill the space.

Something like this would do fine but it would even be better if I could change the position of the "frames" so that all the collages are not the same layout:
collage 1.jpg

I use photoshop 7 . ;)

MrToM

Guru
...Something like this would do fine but it would even be better if I could change the position of the "frames" so that all the collages are not the same layout...
:rofl:

Doesn't that rather defeat the idea of a template?

What exactly are you having trouble with? To be honest, just placing images on a background is not difficult to do and I wouldn't say it needed a 'template' unless you really did want to keep everything the same....which you don't.

I assume that your 'images' will be of different sizes and proportions anyway so again, a template wouldn't really help you....what are the chances of everything fitting every time?

You are much better off just placing your images and resizing them as and when you need to.....the differing proportions will dictate how you do that and so it will be very much an 'as you go' process.

Let us know what you are having difficulty with and we'll see if we can help.....and I'll put some fresh batteries in my PS7.

Regards.
MrToM.

LenaVerbena

MrTom I am quite sure this is not the first time I have had you it fits of laughter! Ok, I see what you are saying- I meant more than one layout but in that style! (The cheek!)

I have a few I am working on at the moment and I am just using the free transform option to squeeze them in. They just end up looking messy instead of having a series of sizes that I stick with so that everything fits within that "collage frame".

In an ideal world I would like a simple collage generator that had numerous different layouts within the specified overall size. I would drag and drop the pics in to their "frames" - the frames could change depending on the orientation of the images. Not asking much is it? :thumbsup:

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...MrTom I am quite sure this is not the first time I have had you it fits of laughter!...
For all the right reasons though....gotta have a laugh!

...I meant more than one layout but in that style!...
...OK.

...I have a few I am working on at the moment and I am just using the free transform option to squeeze them in. They just end up looking messy instead of having a series of sizes that I stick with so that everything fits within that "collage frame"...
Well thats really about all you can do.

You'll have to work out what sizes you can use that fit in different arrangements....in 960px x 430px...which is pretty long and thin.

Once you have that you can then make your own 'templates' and place your images underneath it...using the template as a guide.

I doubt you'll find one 'off the self' as it where that fits your exact requirements, you may but I wouldn't hold your breath....have you looked for 'free collage templates' specifically for PS7 ?

Why does it look 'messy' anyway...what are doing to it? Its just a bunch of rectangles....right?
You can do rectangles! :thumbsup:

This isn't 'exactly' what you want but it does show the process of sizing and moving images to fit within a certain space....its a good watch regardless and may be of some use to you...possibly...maybe....sort of.

If all your images are different proportions then you'll have to take that into consideration...some may need cropping, (not literally but by hiding). The fewer 'sizes' you need to fit in the better.

When you have your sizes a simple white layer with 'rectangular' holes in it would be all you need....then place and resize your images behind it.

...In an ideal world I would like a simple collage generator that had numerous different layouts within the specified overall size. I would drag and drop the pics in to their "frames" - the frames could change depending on the orientation of the images...
In later versions of PS there are 'Smart Objects' which will do just that...but I'm afraid in PS7 you're a little limited as to what you can do....it has to be more 'hands on'.

...Not asking much is it?...
There ya go again with the jokes! :biglaff:
Well yes, in a word....it is.....in PS7.

Regards.
MrToM.

Tom Mann

Guru
LenaVerbena - I have looked at many different methods to do exactly what you are asking (ie, different arrangements of a collage within a specified space), and, IMHO, by far, the easiest method is to use Picasa. I've used it for years for my pro photography business.

Here's a video that shows you how to do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72mwhkxIuTw

If you don't like that particular video, there are quite a few other videos on the topic - just Google {picasa collage video}.

The only catch is that in about 15 days, Google is going to discontinue its support for Picasa, so if you think you might be interested in it (ie, while it's free), download a copy immediately:
https://picasa.google.com/

HTH,

Tom M

LenaVerbena

I do try to inject a bit of humor for ya' !!

Can you give me an idea of which PS I would have to purchase that has the "smart objects" you mentioned? I know I need to get a more up to date version but I can not afford the newest ones at the moment.

I find it hard to explain what makes the "collage" look a a bit of mess. I suppose because I do not have a set combination of sizes that I can follow, that would fit that size, I am using the free transform and having to mess around for ages just to get one where everything will fit and it never usually does, leaving odd little blank spaces.

I will have a look at the video you sent in case it gives me some clues to do a better job than I am doing at the moment. I have had a look around for "templates" but not really come up with anything suitable yet.

LenaVerbena

@LenaVerbena - I have looked at many different methods to do exactly what you are asking (ie, different arrangements of a collage within a specified space), and, IMHO, by far, the easiest method is to use Picasa. I've used it for years for my pro photography business.

Here's a video that shows you how to do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72mwhkxIuTw

If you don't like that particular video, there are quite a few other videos on the topic - just Google {picasa collage video}.

The only catch is that in about 15 days, Google is going to discontinue its support for Picasa, so if you think you might be interested in it (ie, while it's free), download a copy immediately:
https://picasa.google.com/

HTH,

Tom M

Thank you very much for this information Tom M. I will check it out today. I noticed many of the "template" or "collage" sites do not let me download the completed image so if I can make Picasa work that would be super! :D

Tom Mann

Guru
Thank you very much for this information Tom M. I will check it out today. I noticed many of the "template" or "collage" sites do not let me download the completed image so if I can make Picasa work that would be super! :D
Picasa's collage tool definitely produces a file (jpg) as its final product, so no worries. As I recall, once I was asked to make a collage whose final size was 4 X 6 feet, and it consisted of zillions (LOL) of small group photos that I had taken of every employee in the company. Every individual had to be able to be seen clearly. So, I made the final size either 6000 or 10,000 pixels wide ( I forget which) and I had the file printed by a firm with a wide body printer. It worked beautifully and the customer was delighted.

Tom M