What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

computer WAAY too slow when rendering video

Matt Innes

hi guys, i'm pulling my hair out in frustration. when i try to render just 20seconds or so of 1080p 24fps video (shot by my phantom 3 drone) , as soon as i click export-render i get the 'working' sybol of white, grey and black circles spinning, this can go on for 5 minutes before i even get to the render dialogue box, then rendering itself takes hours . It may be that my computer is too slow, which is fine, i can accept that, but others have told me it should be fine, so i'm after any ideas.

my computer specs are
[FONT=&quot]HP Z400 TOWER PC COMPUTER QUAD CORE 2.67GHz 16GB RAM. NVIDIA QUADRO 600 GRAPHICS. WIN 7 PRO

so far, in an attempt to speed up photoshop, i have installed a second harddrive, formatted it and put this top of list in the photoshops scratchdisk order.
lowered history states and increased let photoshop use 78% of ram.

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

[/FONT]

Hoogle

Guru
change your recording settings from your phantom to h.264 compressed and then use adobe media encoder to render the video, just remember though you can render out at AVI losless which will be the quickest but you will end up with video files in gigabytes compared to a compressed version like H.264.

If you want a small file size with minimal loss then you can compress using .WMV which will do about 1 min 720 footage less than 50mbs. But you have to find the best compression/lossless that suits whatever your final output is designed for but if it is for web /youtube I would stick to H.264 compression or H.265 as that is getting more widely used even youtube supports it now.

rarely does any software shipped with things like Gopro or phantoms work well I am not going to say this is the magic formula but you should see both rendering reduced down to 10- 15 mins for large conversions.

I know there is better software out there than adobe media encoder but it does have the advantage of queuing several renders and you can start it when your done editing videos so leave it overnight and you can have upto 50 video renders done when you come back in the morning.

https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=160&platform=Windows

MrToM

Guru
A couple of things to try...

1. Have nothing but PS open at the time.
Close anything that you don't need for the duration of rendering the video.

2. I assume you have the PSD file saved, if not, finish your edit and SAVE IT!

Close PS.

Re-open your file BUT DO NOT PLAY THE VIDEO.

Try 'Render Video...' again and see if it's any better.

The theory here is that when you 'Play' the video for the first time after an edit it's stored in memory. This obviously isn't desirable as you need as much memory as possible for video editing...that and the fact PS is lousy at memory management.

Failing that you could try splitting the video up into chunks that PS can handle and join them back together in some other software....FFMPEG is pretty good at most things video, joining included.

One other thing too, PS doesn't clear unused memory so it may be just a simple case of closing and opening PS again to clear it....if it still hangs then make sure there is enough room for the scratch disc to operate....it'll only get used when the memory is low but provision for it is made almost as soon as PS is open...whether you need it or not...it gets deleted when PS closes.

Other than that, I'd suggest a video editor. PS is primarily image editing software, Video Editing Software would handle this much better.

Throwing more memory at it won't really help, you just need to get PS to use what you have properly....which unfortunately is not easy.

Regards.
MrToM.

Matt Innes

thanks hoogle, will give that a go. but is it normal for it to take so long between pressing 'render video' till the actual dialogue box comes up.? (it takes a good 5 mins of the 'working' circles before i can choose the format etc.

Matt Innes

i've tried all the above methods and its still ridiculously slow. 10 seconds of footage, and waited 10 minutes just for the render dialogue box to come up after pressing render. given up on it, life's too short !!!