What's new

Convert black-and-white to red-and-white

bog

I have an image that's black and white; grayscale. I just want to change it to shades of red(/pink) and white instead of shades of gray. So what was full black is now full red (black no longer exists, now it's red).

I used to know how to do this but forgot (it's frustrating!)- the tutorials I find online all assume you're starting with a color image that you've desaturated. But, no- starting with a grayscale image.

It's something about making a red layer and then setting a certain layer mode, right? Something like that? Thanks.

JJLAPIN

Guru
Is this what you going after.
Make a layer of what ever color you want and set the Layer Mode to Color and adjust the Opacity to your liking.
Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 8.16.11 AM.png

bog

Is this what you going after.
Make a layer of what ever color you want and set the Layer Mode to Color and adjust the Opacity to your liking.
Gradient map adjustment layer.
What I ended up doing (remembering)- I set the red layer mode to Addition, with full opacity. I think that has pretty much the same effect as a gradient map, right. Or does a gradient map do something else? (I've never done a gradient map).

hawkeye

Guru
Gradient maps allow greater control; you can adjust the color of shadows, highlights and mid-tones individually.