What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convert black-and-white to red-and-white

bog

I have an image that's black and white; grayscale. I just want to change it to shades of red(/pink) and white instead of shades of gray. So what was full black is now full red (black no longer exists, now it's red).

I used to know how to do this but forgot (it's frustrating!)- the tutorials I find online all assume you're starting with a color image that you've desaturated. But, no- starting with a grayscale image.

It's something about making a red layer and then setting a certain layer mode, right? Something like that? Thanks.

Your description of the problem is rather confusing.
It would help if you could upload your image.

JJLAPIN

Guru
Is this what you going after.
Make a layer of what ever color you want and set the Layer Mode to Color and adjust the Opacity to your liking.
Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 8.16.11 AM.png

bog

Is this what you going after.
Make a layer of what ever color you want and set the Layer Mode to Color and adjust the Opacity to your liking.
Gradient map adjustment layer.

What I ended up doing (remembering)- I set the red layer mode to Addition, with full opacity. I think that has pretty much the same effect as a gradient map, right. Or does a gradient map do something else? (I've never done a gradient map).

hawkeye

Guru
Gradient maps allow greater control; you can adjust the color of shadows, highlights and mid-tones individually.