What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dancing Lady

denisss

Hey wassup guys
this is my first work after something like 7+ years i haven't touched photoshop or something close to that,im thrilled i got back on track
DancingLadywlogo.jpg

and yea i noticed the writings on her body after i started the project so...

Argos

Guru
Well i dont think it's a problem if it's just for practice, you want feedback on your work or only show it ?

Cheers and welcome back :thumbsup:!

Argos

Guru
I assume its a background and you add the girl to it, if that is the case i think you need to work on the cuts and opacity.. it's kinda messy and chaotic.

Keep trying and look some tutorials it's the way to go.:thumbsup:

Cheers!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Very nice work. I also agree with Argos in that I thought it looked muddy............messy is a better term.

The light effects are great but a bit dated.

I'm not sure what's implied by having the light going up her dress........perhaps a bit too suggestive. The title of the image doesn't seem to imply eroticism, so I'm not sure if that was intentional.

With the heavy shading, I was having a very hard time with her leg(s) in that it appeared odd and unnatural. I had to find the original photo to make any sense of it.

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 5.34.49 PM.png

denisss

argos,i used 2 backgrounds,one of them is more dominant than the other.
i cut the lady from the pic iamsam posted here and then i added the rest, the sparks,flames and all that.
i am aware that the cuts aren't the best,i did the cut with the lasso refined the edges and then i brushed the edges a bit,its kind of a cover up for bad cutting haha.
you got any recommendations on a good cutting tutorial?that would help.
Iamsam,i didn't try to imply anything by making the flames out of her dress haha,it just kinda happened with the flow of my work.

thx for all the feedback i will try to work on those things, it really helps!
if someone has any good tutorials or packs or anything else that you think will help ill be happy to get them :)

kzOFFBEAT

argos,i used 2 backgrounds,one of them is more dominant than the other.
i cut the lady from the pic iamsam posted here and then i added the rest, the sparks,flames and all that.
i am aware that the cuts aren't the best,i did the cut with the lasso refined the edges and then i brushed the edges a bit,its kind of a cover up for bad cutting haha.
you got any recommendations on a good cutting tutorial?that would help.
Iamsam,i didn't try to imply anything by making the flames out of her dress haha,it just kinda happened with the flow of my work.

thx for all the feedback i will try to work on those things, it really helps!
if someone has any good tutorials or packs or anything else that you think will help ill be happy to get them :)

I have a decent tutorial I made a while ago for all to understand on the method of cutting out objects with different tools. You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLkgNDh-MSs - it's not the best tutorial since it was my first and not voice over, but I go a bit in depth about the tools :rolleyes:. But for cutting out people in general, I recommend using the pen tool because it's so accurate, then use refine edge on the hair parts. :thumbsup:

denisss

I have a decent tutorial I made a while ago for all to understand on the method of cutting out objects with different tools. You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLkgNDh-MSs - it's not the best tutorial since it was my first and not voice over, but I go a bit in depth about the tools :rolleyes:. But for cutting out people in general, I recommend using the pen tool because it's so accurate, then use refine edge on the hair parts. :thumbsup:
I am pretty familiar with those cutting methods, except the one you used color range, that one is new for me and i used it and it worked great.
I also watched your video about the glitch effect and used it in my works.
Thank's a lot man, keep it up!

fredfish

Guru
I am pretty familiar with those cutting methods, except the one you used color range, that one is new for me and i used it and it worked great.

Have you investigated using the select by color range tool using different channels to get the best selection possible?

Cheers

John

denisss

Have you investigated using the select by color range tool using different channels to get the best selection possible?

Cheers

John

What do you mean by investigating using the select by color range?
Anyways, I don't recall using different channels, I might have used it without knowing. It would be great if you could expand on that.
FYI I used it in my other work, you can find it in the new thread I opened.

fredfish

Guru
I did see your other thread - some nice work.

When you watched the video by @kzOFFBEAT the first selection method he used was select by color range (which you said was the one method that you hadnt used from that video).

You can use the select by color range on the image itself which often gets great results - to be honest it is one of my first tools that I go to for selections.

BUT you can often get even better results if you open the "channels" panel - by default this is usually next to the "Layers" tab on your right hand panel. If it isn't there then go to the windows menu and select it from there.

When it is open you should see the image with 4 default channels: RGB, red, green and blue. Have a look at each of these by selecting them in turn and see which one gives you the best contrast between what you want to select and the rest of your image. You can then copy that channel (and give it a significant name) and apply all sorts of adjustments such as levels, curves etc to get the best contrast. Then as a final step use the select by color range option from the select menu to make your selection.

Once your selection is made turn back on the RGB channel and go back to your layers panel and you should have a pretty good selection.

*EDIT I often find this a very good way to do things like isolate trees from a background or things of a similar nature.

Cheers

John

Last edited:

fredfish

Guru

Pipsmom

Guru
Gotta say Thank You Fredfish for the channel selection answers...You just saved me so much trouble as it a Huge reoccurring stumbling block for me of late! You da man, thank you

denisss

Yea i didn't do it that way, I will surely try this way next time and i will watch the tutorial. Can't wait to see how it goes.
Thanks a lot John!

fredfish

Guru

kzOFFBEAT

You're welcome, I'm happy you found it useful! I will, I will.