What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Direct selection tool

pslane

I've been told to use the direct selection tool in a lot of the tuts I do. When I try it, all I get is a rectangle marquee that disappears when I un click. It does nothing for me, no lines of any kind.
I'm thinking maybe I have to hold down another key to use this.

Can you tell me or direct me to a page with some instruction on using the direct selection tool? I use the regular pen tool pretty good, so it's not that.
Thanks.

MrToM

Guru
The Direct Selection Tool is just that....you can directly select a single 'node' or several if you wish.

If you had a square path and wanted to just move one corner you can do so by using the Direct Selection Tool and just clicking and dragging the node....likewise with a segment.

You can also 'marquee' select several nodes if you want to move more than one at the same time.....or hold SHIFT and marquee select a node to add it to those already selected.
When you do the 'marquee' will disappear, yes....you've made your selection so its no longer needed...just repeat if you need to select more.

Nodes are usually EMPTY if they are not selected, and BLACK when they are.

Clicking anywhere other than on the path or a node will clear the selected nodes.

It differs from the Path Selection Tool in that you can select any number of nodes in the path, instead of moving the entire path in one go.....effectively retaining its shape.

Regards.
MrTom.

I'm really getting annoyed now at Sam posting 2 seconds before me.....not funny.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MrTom said:
I'm really getting annoyed now at Sam posting 2 seconds before me.....not funny.

:rofl:

I'm really sorry...............I'm not doing it on purpose! I promise!

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Quick draw :eek:fftopic:

MrToM

Guru
...I'm not doing it on purpose! I promise!...

It's the art of good comedy isn't it.....timing? :rofl:

I have comedy in my blood, which is good because there is none my act.

Byeee!

Regards.
CocoTheClown.

pslane

Well, thanks to both of you! I have a lot of studying to do. That clears it up about the direct selection tool. Don't know what I was doing but I don't think I was "dragging" it. One day, I am going to be able to make a nice smooth curve! Lots of other helpful videos out there, too.

Thanks
pslane

ALB68

ALB68

You do it with the pen tool. With your two paths selected as shown, hover your pen tool over the first anchor point , it will change to a white circular icon. Click, then move to the next anchor and when it changes again Click. The paths will join. This is a little tricky but it does work this way.

close paths.PNG

Last edited:

pslane

Amazing! I actually did it.:thumbsup: Thanks..........for getting through to this hard head!

ALB68

Amazing! I actually did it.:thumbsup: Thanks..........for getting through to this hard head!

NP. Making vectors in Photoshop can be a bit challenging. You just need to practice with it and learn the different methods to perform the necessary tasks. A good rule of thumb to remember when working with paths is that they have to be selected with the right tool before you can perform operations on them. Also, remember also that a path is just that..it's not good for much until you add a stroke or fill it etc. If you have not done so, look at your Paths pallet (the tab at the top of the layers pallet) You can perform some operations from there. Most common operation for the pen tool is making selections (masks).

Last edited: