What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easiest/Fastest way to slow down a .gif animation without it looking jerky?

emilio911

Right now a have a .gif animation of 40 frames of 150ms each. The animation is simple: the image fades in and then fades out.

I want to slow down the animation.

If I change it to 300ms, it becomes very jerky! (150ms was already borderline)

What is the easiest way to fix that with Photoshop?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG

What is your frame delay time? If it's 0, then bump it up.

emilio911

Hello and welcome to PSG

What is your frame delay time? If it's 0, then bump it up.

Hi there! The frame delay is 150ms (0.15s). If I put 0.3s it becomes jerky.

What I did now is that I duplicated all the frames. Can I change the brightness of these duplicated frames one by one?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Do you have the GIF that you started the thread about? The one you mention in post #1?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In the "test" GIF above (post#5) the frame delay time is set to "no delay" and not 0.1

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 9.41.23 PM.png

Do you know how to change the frame delay?

emilio911

sorry, here is the right one (0.15s delay -- could be better, but not as choppy as 0.3s. however, it's not slow enough)

Attachments

• test.gif
    test.gif
    22 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

emilio911

here is one with a 0.3s delay (choppy)

Attachments

• test3.gif
    test3.gif
    22 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Adding frames or tweening between frames is about all you can do. For me personally, I never use frame animation anymore, I use the video timeline.

emilio911

tweening between frames

Alright! How do you go for tweening between frames? When I select two frames and use the "Tween..." function I get a third frame that is lighter than the two selected (and not in-between)...

Also, can I convert this frame animation to a video timeline? (I can't open the video timeline like they do in tutorials. My "timeline" window is a frame animation window and won't change. Is this normal?)

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Alright! How do you go for tweening between frames? When I select two frames and use the "Tween..." function I get a third frame that is lighter than the two selected (and not in-between)...
Not sure.............it's literally been years since I used the tween function that I would have to play with it to help you out there.

Also, can I convert this frame animation to a video timeline?
Yes.
Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 10.57.26 PM copy.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's because you only have one layer in your layers panel, you would need at least one more and probably many more. All the layers needed to make the animation.

emilio911

That's because you only have one layer in your layers panel, you would need at least one more and probably many more. All the layers needed to make the animation.
Alright! I added two more layers, and I still can't make it work :/

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    62.8 KB · Views: 0

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, hold on...........let me fire up CS6.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK........works fine in CS6 even with one layer.............not sure why your is not working.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Start from scratch.
Open your test image
You should see a window in the center of the thimeline panel that looks like this....
Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 11.14.55 PM.png

Change it to "Create Video timeline"
Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 11.15.15 PM.png

Then click it.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
JUst one last question............is the test image a GIF file or a JPG file when you open it? I don't think a JPG would show up in the timeline until you added it there, whereas a GIF file would be visible in the timeline.