What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

easiest way to make a collage?

alaa_137

Hi guys
Here's the thing
I stumble upon making a lot of collages...
Like this for instance:
Family-portraits-collage-2.jpg
Thing is sometimes i deal with a LOT of pictures (for the same collage).
What i usually do is arrange the pictures 1 by 1, putting them in the right place.
Do you know of any plugin for photoshop that arranges a bunch of given pictures into a messed template or something?
I only need it to spread them for me on the entire layer. I'll do the extra (rotating, putting borders etc.)

p.s i know that there are some websites/softwares that do this easily, but i insist on using only photoshop.

Thanks guys !!

May I ask why you insist on staying in PS?

I've used ps multiple times per day for literally decades. I love the program, but if there is an easier or better way to do something, I'll use it. In this case, if you want the ultimate in simplicity, Picasa has a drop-dead simple collage function that works wonderfully. It allows one to move, resize and adjust the angles (with clickstops) of the individual images, and then either export the composite to a new file or print directly within Picasa. Just Google {Picasa collage}. I've used it to prepare many 4 x 6 foot, very high quality posters for display to thousands of attendees at meetings and have received high complements for these. Each was a collage containing photos of 20 to 40 of the important members in that organization, so each person looked carefully and closely at their own photo.

if you absolutely must stay within the Adobe line of products, my next suggestion would be the print module of Light Room, not PS, for exactly the reasons you are discovering.

HTH,

T

Hi alaa_137,

alaa said:
Do you know of any plugin for photoshop that arranges a bunch of given pictures into a messed template or something?

Take a look at this plugin called Tych Panel 2, it has a demo video in the lower left hand corner. Seems like it could work.

Thanks for posting that, Sam. I could see using that myself on occasion. It's not as completely automatic as Picasa and some of the stand-alone collage programs, but it certainly could be useful if you work in a way that meshes with it. Great find. The OP never answered my question about why he wants to stay within PS, but maybe he will like this. The video was excellent and it certainly shows off the developer's ability to write code for PS automation.

Thanks again,

Tom

Back