What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fill Color in Rectangle not working

slim2020

Hi,

I am not able to change the exisiting color of a rectangle using the fill color option. Having disable all layer effects, the color is just not changing.

Please advise.

thebestcpu

Guru
Any chance you could provide more details and maybe a screen shot of what your are working on, the layer stack, and what panel is open when you are making the change to which you refer e.g. Layer Style panel. Lots of ways of filling an area and not clear which one your are attempting.
Just a suggestion
John Wheeler

slim2020

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

I am attaching the screen shot. As you may see the color of the rectangle is brown. I am trying to change this color using the fill color tool on the top, when the rectangle option is selected. For some reason, the color does not change. I am still somewhat a novice in using photoshop.

Naus

Attachments

• Photoshop Query.JPG
    Photoshop Query.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 0

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When you click on the FILL shape color at the top (tool options bar), what are you doing next?
Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 12.32.20 AM.png

slim2020

After choosing another color using the FILL option (the one you mentioned), the color does not change in the rectangle.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I see that the rectangle isn't made by using the shape option (no shape icon in the layers panel)(or you rasterised it).
I can only assume you made that rectangle by using the rectangle marquee tool and filled it (in this case with a gradient)
To change the color to a uniform color, hold ctrl and left click on the thumbnail. (you'll see the marching ants around the rectangle)
Select the wanted color with the color picker and make sure its set as foreground color.
Press alt+del to fill the rectangle with the choosen foreground color.
If you want a new gradient, double click on an empty space in the highlighted layer box and this will open the layer styles.

Untitled-2.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Slim
As you can see there are a variety of ways of approaching filling a rectangle.

From your screen shot you filled your rectangle with a gradient from the Layer Styes which is shown still to be active. I duplicated your Layer stack and show both the Layer Panel and Layer Styles panel for what you did below:

Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 1.21.16 PM.png

If you want to change the color of the gradient, select the "Gradient Overlay" option and then click on the little colored gradient just to the right of the Word "Gradient:" That opens up the gradient editor to change the gradient as you desire.

Now on the other hand if you just want a solid color, then turn off the Gradient Overly and Click on the "Color Overlay" option in the Layer Styles Panel. This is shown below with the Color Overlay option selected. With this approach you just click the color chip and the color selection panel opens up and you can select the color you desire. Note that I selected a green color just for contrast:

Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 1.23.31 PM.png

Eggy pointed out in his post a way to fill the rectanlge directly without using Layer Styles.

Hope this is of some help as you can see there are many many ways to do the same thing in PS and the learning curve never really ends (at least for me)

John Wheeler

slim2020

I see that the rectangle isn't made by using the shape option (no shape icon in the layers panel)(or you rasterised it).
I can only assume you made that rectangle by using the rectangle marquee tool and filled it (in this case with a gradient)
To change the color to a uniform color, hold ctrl and left click on the thumbnail. (you'll see the marching ants around the rectangle)
Select the wanted color with the color picker and make sure its set as foreground color.
Press alt+del to fill the rectangle with the choosen foreground color.
If you want a new gradient, double click on an empty space in the highlighted layer box and this will open the layer styles.

View attachment 82499

I am pretty sure the rectangle marquee tool was not used. Anyways I have deleted the original shape and used the rectangle shape tool. I am now able to change the color. Thanks