What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

finding the area of a photo from which an object was removed

1jason

Hi there,
I have an assignment and am required to identify the position of a removed object from a photo. The object has been removed using photoshop. What is the best way to find out where that object was?

The photo is of a football game. The object is a football.

Cheers,
J

iDad

Guru
zoom in real close, look for anything out of zinc as fas as pixel overlapping or blurred lines

you never know "what it was" but you may see where it was

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
it might come to it with looking at the mathematical trajectory to calculate the exact point of the ball.

Sierraccr

Power User
Honestly, if the person removing it did extensive feathering and blending, it's not easy. I agree with iDad - you have to look for something that doesn't quite fit OR look for something duplicated like a bare patch in the grass or something.

1jason

Hi there,

I have looked quite closely, but there isn't anything that screams to me. There are large parts of the image that are fairly ubiquitous (sky, grass) so the missing ball could be there. I was just wondering if there was a tool of some sort within photoshop that could help me identify the suspect spot(s).

As for mathematics and trajectories - each of the four players are looking in rather different directions, none of the bodies are aligned in a uniform way... it's all rather deceptive.

J

iDad

Guru
post the image if you can (high res if you have it)

1jason

I've attached four versions that I've looked at. The original image, the original image with inverted colours and the same to images but "enhanced" or "edited" with the suggested website. Unfortunately the resolution I've put up here is as good as I've got (not very high..). I just cannot see any obvious "flaws".

original_image.jpg

original_image_enhanced.jpeg

inverted_colours_image.JPG

inverted_colours_enhanced.jpeg

ibclare

Queen Bee
I'm not good at this and I'm going to look at that forensic link in a minute, but it seems like there may have been some blurring in these spots, especially on the fence.

Attachments

• FindTheFootball.jpg
    FindTheFootball.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 14

iDad

Guru
I'm also thinking the roof top areas it looks like the guy may have given the ball a head butt (#4)

1jason

Gosh, eyes like a hawk! If that shadow does belong to the ball it will lie to the right of the ball I think - judging from the players shadows. It does seem rather feint though - whether due to photoshopping or because it's in the air is a mystery. However Your observation of distorted pixles could mean that it is indeed on the ground just to the left of the shadow...

Looking at the "enhanced" image I thought I saw a suspect ball like shape in the air - however it doesn't seem to correspond to anything in the ordinary photo. This could be a red herring.

original_image_enhanced_suspect_point_1.jpg

Sierraccr

Power User
I superimposed the enhanced image onto the original and then put a clipart ball on top of the suggested ball shape. Taken like that, I think the shadow of the ball falls where the arrow is pointing.

Sierra'a Analysis.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee
Check for the use of cloning. I assume you are taking this down to pixel level when you examine a suspicious area. Nothing, as you say, is very obvious, and you wouldn't think a tremendous amount of work was done to hide it . . . you wouldn't think. Good luck to you. Hope it doesn't account for you passing a course, :devilish:

Attachments

• FindTheFootball.jpg
    FindTheFootball.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 14

ibclare

Queen Bee
I superimposed the enhanced image onto the original and then put a clipart ball on top of the suggested ball shape. Taken like that, I think the shadow of the ball falls where the arrow is pointing.

pretty much where the suspicious clone stamping might have been. I think your detective work has got the best results.

Digital4Hue

I think it is here. I made an adjustment layer and flipped the curves all over and there appeared to be a circular pattern in this spot.
ball1.jpg

1jason

Goodness, that is a very feint impression. There are evidently quite a few possibilities of where this ball may be...