What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first attempt at a space theme

Helios

Content wise, it looks cool to me. :)

The first thing I notice about it though is that the brightness/contrast looks a little low. Everything looks quite grey, like the brighter colours have the potential to pop out at me more.
Is this deliberate? eg I might do this if it's a background image for something over which I'm going to place brighter content, like text. But that would be one of the only times I'd want this greying or darkening of the whole image.

Other than that though, good job so far - it's suitably busy for a battle scene. It might want a couple of smaller explosions on the very distant ships for some depth and scale, but maybe see what looks good to you. Too much could make it too busy, I dunno.

One last thing - the clipping of everything 'outside' the ship, in the sections of window could do with tidying up. Especially the laser beams passing 'behind' the frame of the cockpit, as they look like they're inside the cockpit with us.

Last edited:

paulus

already sorted the beams issue. i have deliberately kept it dulled down as i am going to turn it into an imaginary movie poster for my sons bedroom

Hi Paulus

Both images are very nice jobs.

I personally favor the first one. I agree on the corrections Helios mentioned. I bit more color and contrast would improve the poster effect.
The second composite looks better with colors and contrast, but otherwise too stretched and too busy. But maybe this is just me.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First of all, your doing a fantastic job, keep it up!

I like the landscape/widescreen orientation of the first version. I like the battle scene you have going on but the overall image is dull and bland.

In all honesty, I don't care much for the composition of the second version. It's too squared (compressed) and the text and the guy need to go. I do like the background imagery of the second better than the first. And, as has been pointed out, you need a bit more contrast and some color in the planet would not hurt. Also, most cockpit views of space ships have some nice bright graphics for the instrumentation which you have improved in the second version but they could be much brighter and pronounced.

Can you post the original cockpit image so that we might provide you with some examples?