What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first paying job

egosbar

Guru
got my first paying job yesterday , took an hour and half , i charged 15 dollars , client was very happy , it wasnt a freind but a client from overseas which was even more rewarding was a pro photographer and just got me too fix up some very patchy grass in a family shot , had too layer in complete new grass so it was a little tricky now too keep any money i make and put towards cameras in the future ,on the way lol

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 95
  • web grass pic.jpg
    web grass pic.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 94
  • web done.jpg
    web done.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Way to go. You are a professional providing a valuable service and you deserve to be paid for your time and expertise.

The sad part is that had he came to this site, people would be falling over each other to do it for free.

Way to go. You are a professional providing a valuable service and you deserve to be paid for your time and expertise.

The sad part is that had he came to this site, people would be falling over each other to do it for free.

yes i agree now , i wont be doing any more freebies , i did earlier because i was inexperienced and learning

And what is wrong with that?

difinitely not a pro but im sure i can make a few bob here and there , better then doing it for free

i wasnt really happy with the long grass but he liked it and paid up so all good

Really wonderful job. And $15 worth it. I am a photoshop senior and I have to say that I don't know if I would've done it so well.

Re: first paying job- redone it wasnt happy see third image

Really wonderful job. And $15 worth it. I am a photoshop senior and I have to say that I don't know if I would've done it so well.
i wasnt happy so i redone it for him , now he has the choice

Attachments

• web done.jpg
    web done.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
$15 makes you a pro does it?
Yes getting paid even a small amount for your services makes you a professional. The amount makes no difference, I've made as much as $500 on a single picture and I've made as little as $10. So what?

And what is wrong with that?

What's wrong with it is that working for free indicates to people that Photoshop work has no value. If the person actually doing the work doesn't think it has value and is willing to give it away, why would anyone else?

Reactions: prd
difinitely not a pro but im sure i can make a few bob here and there , better then doing it for free

i wasnt really happy with the long grass but he liked it and paid up so all good

Don't sell yourself short. Consider yourself a professional, act like one, hold yourself to higher standards, and you will be treated accordingly.

From Webster's dictionary: professional - relating to a job that requires special education, training, or skill

Great job, ego. I especially like the long grass version.

With respect to people calling themselves pros in various fields of endeavor, for as long as I can remember, there has been much discussion of this. Some say that if you get any pay for your work, you are a pro. Others say that unless you make a substantial part of your income from the activity you aren't a pro. My own POV depends on the situation being discussed, but I agree with Hawkeye that one does not want to debase the value of PS work by giving away very competent work for free (unless doing so benefits you in some non monetary way such as publicity, good relations with an existing client, etc.).

T

Each to their own, hawkeye. As that is your belief, it is respected. But there may also be those who don't share that belief and are free to do as they see fit - within reasonable boundaries.

Reasons for doing freebies differ from one person to another. It's not that they don't value the potentials of Photoshop or the skill in what they do. They just feel like doing a freebie - here and there, now and then. They should be given respect as well.

What's wrong with it is that working for free indicates to people that Photoshop work has no value. If the person actually doing the work doesn't think it has value and is willing to give it away, why would anyone else?

I sense a disturbance in the force, about to commence..........:eek:

Yes getting paid even a small amount for your services makes you a professional. The amount makes no difference, I've made as much as $500 on a single picture and I've made as little as $10. So what?

So you going to let some electrician out the local free paper come do your rewiring because he wants $400 to do it, must be a pro in your world then?

So you going to let some electrician out the local free paper come do your rewiring because he wants $400 to do it, must be a pro in your world then?
You need a license to be an electrician. Professionalism is judged by more than just the amount of money you get paid.

And having a license/accredited training makes you a more competent/professional person in my book anyway.

Each to their own, hawkeye. As that is your belief, it is respected. But there may also be those who don't share that belief and are free to do as they see fit - within reasonable boundaries.

Reasons for doing freebies differ from one person to another. It's not that they don't value the potentials of Photoshop or the skill in what they do. They just feel like doing a freebie - here and there, now and then. They should be given respect as well.

I see complaints about how hard it is to turn Photoshop skills into a paying profession, people working for free is certainly a part of the cause. But everyone is free to do as they please. I'm not sure what you are implying about reasonable boundaries as it relates to working for free.

Back