What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First time showing

Spiritchaser

I'm fairly new to Photoshop and wanted to post to get some opinions. This is something I did after completing the Dream Skin tutorial in the Photoshop Top Secret Training Course.FreeGreatPicture.com-16944-development-of-high-definition-close-up-woman.jpgVampireGirl2.png

Hi Spiritchaser

I've also seen that video on the training course and it's very useful. Allow me to add a couple of points that i consider should be fixed.

- The first thing to come to my attention is the hair edges, i'll like to know the technique you used to extract it, 'cause it think if you work a bit more on it, you could achieve a improved selection, as everybody knows, selecting hair is one of the trickiest tasks in PS, but whit practice you could get better results.

- The blue/violet color shades, are too saturated specially on the background and hair, try playing whit a different shade of blue for the background or hair to make one of those stand out from each other.

- The crown on her forehead seems a bit flat, don't really know if it is a crown, shape or tattoo, if i remember correctly the design used in the video has a bit of shadow on the bottom edges, to give the rusted metallic crown fx.

- Her lips looks like painted, don't know if that was the desired fx dough, you could make it a bit realistic by just adding a bit of color and preserving the texture.

Other that that it looks cool, i know sometimes it gets really difficult to get a desired fx on a picture but everything comes down to patience and practice, lots of practice.

Please keep it up.

I First selected the white background with the magic wand tool and cut it from the photo, then used the background eraser tool to get the rest. There is a glowing sort of nappy look around the edges of the hair that I have been struggling with. I used a layer mask and painted over it to mask some of that effect but I seem to have hit the limit as far as what can be done with that technique. Perhaps this a result of using the background eraser tool?
I agree with your other observations as well, Thank You for your input.

I First selected the white background with the magic wand tool and cut it from the photo, then used the background eraser tool to get the rest. There is a glowing sort of nappy look around the edges of the hair that I have been struggling with. I used a layer mask and painted over it to mask some of that effect but I seem to have hit the limit as far as what can be done with that technique. Perhaps this a result of using the background eraser tool?
I agree with your other observations as well, Thank You for your input.

You're going about the hair extraction the hard way. You may as well draw it yourself :devilish:

It's called extraction because you use methods that actually isolate the hair. Here are a couple tutorials I like. Others have their favorites. You'll be amazed! :mrgreen:

Photoshop For Beginners: 6 techniques to extract anything from its background

Handy Techniques for Cutting Out Hair in Photoshop

Back