What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freeform Pen tool -- how to stop it from curving my path

chick

I'm trying to create a path using the freeform pen tool. When I have drawn the path and release the mouse button, photoshop cc automatically curves the path or even sometimes straightens it. I'm guessing/hoping there is a setting to prevent this and keep the path exactly as I drew it, but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone help?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

What are your tools settings?

MrToM

Guru
...release the mouse button, photoshop cc automatically curves the path or even sometimes straightens it...
Correct, that's how the tool works...it places 'corner' and 'bezier' anchor points as efficiently as it can to match your hand drawn, (freeform), path.

... I'm guessing/hoping there is a setting to prevent this and keep the path exactly as I drew it...
Nope.

You would be much better off just using the 'Pen' tool....you have total control over it.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with MrToM that, depending on how your trying to use the tool, you would be much better off just learning how to use the Pen Tool.

However, I don't know how your using the tool or for what purpose. Take a look at this video as it explains a lot of what you need to know about setting up the Freefrom Pen Tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSMx0yiW0Ew

chick

Thanks for the answers. I'm trying to draw my own complex curves. I looked at the video and the very first thing he does is draw a complex curve and the path stays exactly where he drew it. So I tried to copy that and in a new window, the first path I drew stayed exactly the same as I drew it, but when I tried to add to it, the freeform pen tool icon got a little minus sign on the bottom right and insisted on reshaping everything else I drew. What is that little minus sign and how do I get my freeform pen back to drawing additional freeform shapes on that path?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What are your tools settings? You need to have your path operations set to "combine shapes".

MrToM

Guru
...but when I tried to add to it, the freeform pen tool icon got a little minus sign on the bottom right...
You only get that minus sign on the cursor when your cursor is over an anchor point.

...and insisted on reshaping everything else I drew...
Correct. Removing anchor points will indeed reshape the path.

... What is that little minus sign and how do I get my freeform pen back to drawing additional freeform shapes on that path?...
Its an automatic 'feature' whereby in order to speed up editing the path you can quickly delete anchor points, the minus sign when your cursor is over an anchor, or add anchor points, when your cursor is over a segment.

It really does depend on what you are going to use the path for as to whether or not the Path Operation needs to be set. If you intend to just stroke the path then the operation has little if any effect, but if you intend to create a shape then it makes a big difference.

As you haven't said what it is you intend to do with the path I suggest you do as IamSam mentioned and make sure the Path Operation is set to 'Combine Shapes'. (Ignore the fact you are creating a path...menus do not differentiate between the two.) You can of course always change each sub-path Operation later should you need to.

When adding to an existing path DO NOT click on an anchor point or segment of any existing path, start from a blank space and overlap your new path over the existing.

If you do use different operations then these will still be reflected in the Paths panel, regardless of how you proceed.

Regards.
MrToM.