What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

glossy vs matte screen for photoshop

puppychew

Power User
Hi - I'm shopping for a new PC laptop. Need a 17" screen.

It seems that all screens are glossy now - which looks real good, but aside from not being able to work on my porch with the glare, I heard that photoshop color adjustments on images may be an issue with a glossy screen. Is this true? Any suggestions?

thanks, ken

Depends what your going for and your personal preference at the end of the day if you are going for just work that will never leave your screen aka not for print a shiny 1 will intense the colours more. But if most of your work is for print my personal preference will be a mat screen. But either way does not matter because if your going to print you assign a colour profile and it does not really matter then. It also is just a richness difference but the actual image is no different just how you see it as your working. you can always turn the brightness down so you can get best of both worlds if you like.

Glossy screens are okay, so long as light isn't shining on it, and the contrast is okay. but they get dirty and unttractive easily.

Matte screens are great when light is shining on it but the contrast tends to be very high, and you could miss a shade of colour accidentally. but they tend to stay clean and attractive.

Back