What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good books/other ways for learning professional Photoshop compositing?

Peacer

Hello,

I've used these books so far for learning Photoshop compositing. Does anyone know similar or even better books/ways to learn professional Photoshop compositing?

Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 7.50.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 7.51.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 7.52.08 AM.png

Thanks for any help. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome to PSG.

I personally do not own any books on Photoshop, there's simply too much information on the internet.
Most if not all of Corey B's tricks have been demonstrated in his videos.

I'm certainly not saying there's anything wrong with books at all, perhaps you could look here:

Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 7.52.29 AM.png

I have shelves full of books on Photoshop and Lightroom, but all for earlier versions than I now use.
I stopped buying books when the prices went over the $25 point.

I made a much better investment: a second monitor. I now put tutorials up on the second monitor,
Photoshop up on the primary monitor, and follow the tutorials. There are so many tutorials that
can be viewed that books are no longer necessary.

Besides, most books are just re-writes of earlier books by the same author. The book on CS 2015
is really just the book on Photoshop 5 with a few additions for features added since PS 5. You
are paying $30 to $50 for a couple of chapters.

Thank you very much indeed for your input.

However, what are in your opinion the best Web sites to learn Photoshop compositing?

Because if I search for "Photoshop compositing" on YouTube, it can be a bit overwhelming.

Thanks for the links. If you have any more, just let me know. :)

Or is there like a big list somewhere in this forum?

From firsthand experience, I can recommend Lynda.com. There are several videos on compositing, including some by artists who use compositing in their work.

If you sign up for a month, I suggest you also watch the documentary on Jerry Uelsmann and Maggie Taylor (both established compositing artists, although Uelsmann uses the darkroom), just because it is interesting.

"Photoshop Masking and Compositing" by Eismann and Duggan has a great reputation. I have not read it, but I was impressed by Duggan's compositing video on Lynda. The book is a bit dated, but I think most of the skills are transferable.

If it were me, I would start with the video and see where you are.

For what it's worth, I think it's a very good idea to figure out if the person you are learning from makes prints of their work, preferably big ones.

Why? Because prints reveal the quality (or lack of quality) much more readily than images on screen.

Some gifted artists develop photoshop skills for screen use and don't realize they have developed a number of bad working methods which do not allow their images to translate into print.

Thanks again for the awesome links, IamSam and f2bthere. Especially Lynda should keep me busy in the next few years.

Have a great day! :)

Thank you for your time, I will look into these new to the site and wow room of information here.

Back