What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone gone from drawing & painting realistically to more imaginative work?

Anna Hussie

I have been drawing & painting pets and wildlife from my photos (just as a hobby and for family and friends), but would like to try dragons and other fantasy creatures. I am curious to see if anyone has made such a transition (I know we don't have to choose just one style), and did you find you enjoy one more than the other?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Can't say much about my drawings... lol.. they suck....

You're right, you don't have to choose one style.... but over time, your personal style will come of age.

fword

Never really thought about it. Looking back I've only ever drawn one style. Any time I attempt another style I have to look at other peoples art of that style for ideas. So I guess I could never really call it my new style.

I used to draw stuff from comic books when I was a kid - almost exclusively superheroes. That morphed over time into caricatures, and then cartoons.

I think my inspiration came mostly from Mort Drucker in MAD Magazine. That guy is one of the most amazing artists EVER!!!!

Agent

webwize

Hi Anna,

Have you considered doing all the drawing / painting in photoshop with a Graphics Tablet (unless that's what you are already doing)? I am in the process of doing this right now with Fantasy art and I'm having a ball. Also magzines like Digital Artist and Imagine FX are a wealth of knowledge.