What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Helios' gallery

Helios

Hi guys,

I've not been here long, but after a warm welcome I feel happy posting this for you all. Looking around I can see a friendly community that thrives on sharing ideas, helping others and praising achievements, which is really lovely to find.

I mostly paint and draw, as I've said elsewhere, but there is some photography too - the only photoshopping I do on these is adjustments to brightness/contrast, saturation, or removing the occasional unsightly sign or telegraph pole.

Anyway, enjoy!

Hels

I'll kick off with this one - it's a couple of years old, and one of my first successful painting attempts using my graphics tablet (I spent looong time tinkering and failing before that!)

cloudscape.jpg

I painted it from scratch using one of my own photos as a reference.

I confess to being a little polarised in my work, as I seem to alternately do stuff like this, and characters like this lady:

astor.jpg

This was actually painted up in GIMP (from a pencil sketch), rather than my usual photoshop, but the effect is much the same as normal. I'm not sure if I'll stick with GIMP, as I much prefer how photoshop handles pressure sensitive brushes and doesn't suffer from terrible cursor lag when I use my tablet.

Were I to want to show more pictures, could I just add them to this thread, or would the mods prefer me to start new threads for other work?

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
These are great Helen.

Of course your welcome to start new threads or you can add them to this thread, totally your choice. Keep them coming either way.

gedstar

Guru
Hi Helen

You've done a wonderful job on both images, I love the cloud drawing very realistic :thumbsup: As Sam said keep them coming

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
I like it! you certainly have a good eye for shade!

the only thing I'd say is I think his head would need to be slightly lower, with his chin covered in part by his shoulder plate, HOWEVER, it looks great as it is, so don't tinker with it unless you're absolutely curious.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
i did have my suspicions as to whether it was a female character, the facial features were feminine, however the hair was short, and she was armour clad, so I just went with the most appropriate solution... sorry! XD

did you reference anyone in particular for this?

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
hmm, androgenous sounds cool! do you mind if i just take this into PS to illustrate some pointers?

it's pretty amazing for completely out of your head! it's tough at the best of times! referencing real heads is good sometimes, as you can reference several and then just modify as you see fit.

Helios

hmm, androgenous sounds cool! do you mind if i just take this into PS to illustrate some pointers?

it's pretty amazing for completely out of your head! it's tough at the best of times! referencing real heads is good sometimes, as you can reference several and then just modify as you see fit.

Cheers!

No, go ahead with the pointers - I am always trying to improve on drawing people as I'm working on a character driven graphic novel, and I've spent a long time struggling with faces.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
righto! :D haha I'm working on sequential imaging at university at the moment! ditto! :D

alright, I've redrawn out the face with a quick sketch so it's quite scruffy and a little dicky in places, sorry.

I'm not sure if you were aiming for a particular style or not, I for some reason am always somewhere between cartoon and realistic, never one or the other :p so I apologize in advance if the drawing style isn't what you're wanting to achieve.

illustrated changes.jpg
my handrwiting is terrible (dyspraxia and pen tablets don't mix) if you're struggling to comprehend that gaggle of letters, just let me know.

just the un annotated drawing so you can see the changes better.

illustrated changesno anno.jpg

any questions, just holller! :D

Helios

That's all very clear, thanks. I think at some point I will need to draw a fresh version to incorporate all the changes and see how they improve the character - I run the risk of over-working the original otherwise.

Thanks for the pointers. :)

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
no problemo! :D
what you can do to make things a little quicker with drawing it out, is use the original as a base, and draw over it, altering as you go, I personally think the original is rather cool, but it just allows for a quicker transition, it's essentially an iterative design method, but with drawings.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I've only heard of the apps and haven't gotten down to searching for the site to know more about it.

But the output looks good. The only thing are the shadows on the face, neck and under the palm.... maybe needs to be a bit darker? Is it a preset or something applied on with a brush of sorts?

Helios

I may go back and paint some areas a little darker - I agree I probably haven't gone far enough, I'd just got it to a point I was happy with and was concerned about wrecking it.

The program has no image manipulation, really, it's purely a painting program. So yeah all the shading is done with brushwork on various layers, and then opacities adjusted.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
I like the second one so much! :O it looks very "sin city" -esque.

you definitely seem to be taking off with mischief! looks epic! :D