What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello Photoshop Masters! Need your advice

Diana Kot

Hello guys, I'm new here!
I create Photoshop lessons and courses, but unfortunately I'm not very successful in it:rolleyes:
I don't know how to attract new public and find people who is interested in this topic and can give advise.
I have youtube channel and I also created free course recently.
Would be great if you can suggest how to promote it (well, it's free:) or how to make it better.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long have your videos been up on YouTube?

One of the most common problems that I see with folks trying to create Ps videos is that they re-create topics that already exist in mass quantities on the internet. These "copy cat" videos get lost in a sea of hundreds of others just like them.

If you want to be successful, create videos on topics that NO ONE else is doing! Be original and create new and exciting effects that have not been seen.

Hello, thank you for your answer!
I think I don't have enough charisma to keep viewers... Average time that people watch my courses is quite low. I don't have head-shot videos and my voice is very soft.
And also I have no idea how to attract people - there are a lot of photoshop courses and channels, so how can they find me?

I have this channel about 5 months, but I mostly posted announcements about my courses on Udemy. I decided to make free course about adjustment layers and post it on youtube. I know that this topic is not new, but all existing lessons were not detailed and structured, as I think.
I understand that I should create something new but I'm an engineer, I can explain and work but it's hard for me to be creative.

Hello, thank you for your answer!
I think I don't have enough charisma to keep viewers... Average time that people watch my courses is quite low. I don't have head-shot videos and my voice is very soft.
And also I have no idea how to attract people - there are a lot of photoshop courses and channels, so how can they find me?
As I explained in post #3, you can't stand out in a crowd when your creating the same old videos that the internet is flooded with. You have to be creating new topics and effects that are exciting and interesting.

If you think it may be your charisma, then change it.
If the average viewing times are low......this could be an indicator that you may not be covering enough new information that they have not heard before.
I don't think a soft voice really matters.

I have this channel about 5 months, but I mostly posted announcements about my courses on Udemy. I decided to make free course about adjustment layers and post it on youtube. I know that this topic is not new, but all existing lessons were not detailed and structured, as I think.
I understand that I should create something new but I'm an engineer, I can explain and work but it's hard for me to be creative.
Five months is not very long. Give it some more time.
I take it that you were trying to charge a fee for your video courses? This is very hard to do unless you have developed on online reputation as being someone who would demand such a following of people willing to pay a fee to view your videos. Who are you and why do you think you can charge for your videos? (advocating and rhetorical)

Well, most of the people we find online - we don't know who they are. Person may tell that he has 20 years experience and earn thousands of dollars every month doing nothing - and if he has high self-confidence people believe him and by his product.
I just try to learn as much as I can and share this information with people.
For example it took me hours to find out how some Photoshop features works.If someone watch my course - he don't need to spend this hours.
It take me hours to watch all those boring intros in youtube lessons, where person tells several minutes about himself, not about the topic. If someone watch my course - he don't need to spend this time listening about me and my thoughts.

I just try to learn as much as I can and share this information with people.
For example it took me hours to find out how some Photoshop features works.If someone watch my course - he don't need to spend this hours.
It take me hours to watch all those boring intros in youtube lessons, where person tells several minutes about himself, not about the topic. If someone watch my course - he don't need to spend this time listening about me and my thoughts.
This is great. Post your videos on YouTube and hope that the masses muttle through the hundreds (if not thousands) of similar videos, with higher rankings than yours, and wish for the best. It's a whole different story if your basing your success on the amount of money your making. If you want to make money with your videos, then you will have to make changes.

My friend Paul has reminded me of another huge success in the Photoshop world.

Take a look at Phlearn.

Aaron Nace built his success on creating free Photoshop video tutorials covering (mostly) effects that no one else was offering at the time. Then he started creating his "Premium" tutorials and charging a fee. Huge success! The moral of this story is that he created a reputation for knowing what he was talking about. After he built a following, it was easy for him to collect fees from his premium videos.

I watch Phlearn for two years already and I see its growth.
But Aaron has a big team and he spent a lot of money in this project growth. There are a lot of similar youtube channel where person try to do something similar by himself without any team or investments and see no results.
And second moment - Aaron is way more attractive than most of the youtubers - he has big charisma, he is very handsome and funny, so people enjoy watching this video.

Diana, I wish you all the success in the world. I can tell by your replies that you have not only given the matter a great deal of thought, but you have also answered most of your own questions. I can tell you have a strong work ethic and that your committed. I think your right about all the mainstream videos out there on the internet (intros) and that I like your approach about getting to the point.

I think your making a step in the right direction by placing free videos on your YouTube channel. Hopefully these will generate traffic to your paid site. I still think you need to find a way to make yourself and the subject matter of your videos stand out. Once you have gained some "street cred", I think you will see more success. Work on that charisma! Who knows, you may even find folks willing to back your project like Aaron.

Diana, I wish you all the success in the world. I can tell by your replies that you have not only given the matter a great deal of thought, but you have also answered most of your own questions. I can tell you have a strong work ethic and that your committed. I think your right about all the mainstream videos out there on the internet (intros) and that I like your approach about getting to the point.

I think your making a step in the right direction by placing free videos on your YouTube channel. Hopefully these will generate traffic to your paid site. I still think you need to find a way to make yourself and the subject matter of your videos stand out. Once you have gained some "street cred", I think you will see more success. Work on that charisma! Who knows, you may even find folks willing to back your project like Aaron.
Thank you for your words, I try to work in this direction (be more funny and attractive). And I agree with you that unique subjects matters - I watched the most popular videos on Phlearn channel - but I don't think that it's a good idea to recreate them. As for my own ideas - I think about creating videos about Lab colors. I like this color mode a lot.
But I think that this topic may not be interesting to people - once again I create what I want not what other people want:)

Back