What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help: Gritty, Realistic Newspaper Scan Effect

danimal.dan

Hey guys, I've been trying to get a gritty, realistic newspaper scan effect with paper texture but I can't seem to get it. I was following the instructing from this post (find the link HERE, it's the reply from Pierre Vreins) because his resulting image is exactly what I want but can't seem to get. Ive been putting my image into grayscale, then bitmap. Then I render clouds and pixelated it w mezzotint, and then I overlay it. I think this is what I'm having trouble with because when this step is done it looks like this and it just looks way off.

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 3.04.13 PM.png

Here is an example from when I tried the effect on the picture from his post:
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 3.34.17 PM.png

As you can see, the issue gets worse when I add a curves adjustment layer.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello.

I see that you have your blending option on the first image "layer 1" set to OVERLAY, when it should be MULTIPLY. Don't forget to look at the photos for clues.

You are also missing layers. While I will admit that this is a terrible tutorial, you need to try and follow it as best you can. It's all there.

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 5.20.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 5.17.02 PM.png

danimal.dan

I see what you mean! However, my last image still doesn't seem to have that realistic paper scan feel like the image in the tutorial.

Also, I keep on getting this weird, pixelated noise. Any idea what this is?
Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 12.38.33 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think this is a much better TUTORIAL.

Skip to 3:50. Create a solid white color fill layer below the image you want to add the effect to. Then follow tutorial to 7:00.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 12.42.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 12.43.07 AM.png