What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help running an action on a set of image sequences

CYYAAN

I have several thousand sequences named:

ABC001.png
ABC002.png
ABC003.png...

DEF001.png
DEF002.png
DEF003.png...

and I have an action that opens them as an image sequence, changes the frame rate in the timeline from 60 to 30, and saves them as gifs:
ABC.gif
DEF.gif

However the action processes ABC001.png, ABC002.png, ABC003.png, creating multiple duplicate gifs for each frame, how can I run the action on just one of each sequence ABC001.png, DEF001.png inside the folder?

It's just a very bare bones action
Open ABC001.png
With Image Sequence
Frame Rate: 60

Set Document Timeline Settings of timeline
Frame Rate: 30

Export
Using: Save for Web
Format: GIF89A

Close
Saving: no

But when I select a folder to process it opens every frame as a sequence ABC001, ABC002, etc instead of detecting a sequence and moving on to the next one ABC, DEF, etc.

I'm thinking I probably have to write a script for the opening part that detects an image sequence in the filename, opens ABC001 it as a sequence, and moves on to the next skipping ABC002...ABC00N.

If anyone has a similar script they can share that I could work off from, I would appreciate it.

Hi @CYYAAN

I think there may be a misunderstanding on how to create a GIF animation (your final result).
Sine each PNG is a single image or frame, each one would initially be brought in as its own Layer
Also GIFs are not a video format just an animation format and have limited frame rates. In fact, as I understand, the frame rate is acutally determined by the time interval between images by 1/100 's of a second so the frame rate can be 100 fps, 50fps 33.3 fps, 25 fps, 20 fps for each additional 1/100 second added to the delay between each frame.
I think a good starting point to get on the same page is the Adobe Photoshop tutorial on making GIF animations:
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/discover/make-a-gif.html

Now if your actual goal is to output as a video format you need to export to a video format and GIF is not a video format (just animation format)
Hope this helps (unless I don't really understand what you are trying to do)
John Wheeler

Back