What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I remove unwanted Fonts from Photoshop CS5?

RedHeadsRule

I went through my font folder where I installed them and deleted the files, but they are still in Photoshop! There are several fonts that I downloaded from font sites that I no longer use and I would like to delete them so that it doesn't take so long for Photoshop to open up. I have looked all over the web for an answer to what seems like it should be a simple question, but I can find no answers out there! I am soooo frustrated! Please help! :banghead:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
If WINDOWS all fonts reside in the fonts folder in the Windows system folder. Are u on a PC or Mac?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

If you're on a PC and you know the names of the fonts, do a search.

That should bring you to the fonts folder. Delete whatever you don't need.

Agent

RedHeadsRule

I am using a pc and I already removed them from where I downloaded them to. How could they get from the Photoshop Fonts folder to the Windows Fonts folder on their own? And why would I need to run a search for the when I know where I downloaded them to? I am confused.

SPWA

Power User
When you download a font, it does not go to the windows Font folder. When you install the font, it installs there automatically. Deleting a downloaded font will not remove from the windows font folder. Photoshop uses the windows font folder to determine what fonts you have.

RedHeadsRule

Thank you so very much! You explained it in a way that makes perfect sense! I really appreciate your help!!! :D

Hoogle

Guru
hundreds of fonts installed can cause major hangups on your computer I reccommend never installing fonts into your windows directory instead create a folder somewhere not within the system section ie my documents download all your fonts to there.

Then go to c:> Windows > Fonts and select font settings on the left hand side and check the allow fonts to be installed as shortcuts box.

Then when you go to install a font you will see a new option at the top asking if you would like to install this font as a link. Check it for yes this makes your system run so much faster especially withinn programs like photoshop that initialises the type tool on every use, If you have thousands of fonts this will be slow.

Using this method the fonts are installed into a none essential system folder and is made available to all programs that uses fonts as it is referenced in your font installations and will only load the font as you need it.

I would also recommend downloading a program called font frenzy this will clean up your fonts and delete or repair broken ones. It will also let you reset your fonts back to system defaults (it ignores fonts installed via the method I suggested above as it is not technically in system fonts folder)

RedHeadsRule

Thank you soooooo much! I will definitely look up Font Frenzy as an option! I really appreciate your help!