What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to change object colors to black or white ?

dirhem

Since changing hue values does not give such a result i was wondering if there is proper way to do it.

Desired result samples :

Before :

before.png

After :

after.png

hi,

This is pretty simple. Basically it's a Colour overlay. You can choose this in various different ways. Select the area you want to paint over with your favourite selection tool. Create a new layer, use blend mode "colour". Choose your desired colour and just paint into the selected area on your new layer.

Alternatively you could create a layer mask from your selection and simply fill it with the paint bucket, or paint into it.

Make sure you save your selections or masks so that you can edit them at a later point if you're not happy with the results.

Hope this was clear and easy enough to follow, if not just give me a shout.

Cheers

Chris

Unfortunately your way is not working like i described. When i add a new layer and choose color as blending option and then paint with white or black it will result as gray(desaturated). I am looking for same result as in the samples that i posted on the original post.

create new layer paint the face paint in set the blending mode to colour ps the middle part is white not a grey
before.jpg

1.jpg
2.jpg
I get much whiter result when I use Normal and Blend if rather than the grey of Color Blend mode. With blend if you can specify the color range with the sliders to what colors you want that layer to "stick to". Not the best example but you can see the color diffrence this way. Use the alt/option key to split the handles to get better control.

Like this?

Select face.
Duplicate layer. Paint in as desired. Duplicate layer.
Set first painted layer to overlay and top layer to color.

Attachments

• stripes.jpg
    stripes.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 18
  • StripeColor.JPG
    StripeColor.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Fact is that Overaly blending mode better work on "greyscale" or neutral color image.
So it's good to desaturate or "greyscale" that part of image over which is painted.
Like that:
facecolored1.jpg

And sometimes i use that trick. It works for only one color at the time but i like that mehod because of elegance:
facecolored2.jpg
Painting is on the group mask.

Back