What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to draw a half circle in PS CS5?

Windows7

Power User
Yeah yeah guys i know that the most of you find it "dumb" but i can find everywhere how to draw a circle and the easiest way is the eclipse tool BUT.. i can't find ANYWHERE how to draw a half circle with on one side a perfect vertical line and the other side a circle?

Thx!

Ok ok ok.. i already found it.. :

Half Circle Method

• 1 Select the "Elliptical Marquee Tool," which is one of the options you'll find under the selection tool. This will allow you to draw a circle.

• 2 Click your workspace, hold down the button, and drag your mouse out and down to form your selection circle.

• 3 When you achieve the right size and shape circle, let the button go and then go to "Edit>Fill" on your Photoshop menu. Fill the circle with your color of choice.

• 4 Go back to your tool bar and choose the regular rectangular selection tool now. Be sure that the Photoshop layer containing your new circle is active. Select a half of the circle with your selection tool and then press "Delete." This will cut the circle in half to create your arch.

If you want 100% sure its a half you should use shape tool.
1. Take Elipse tool, make circle's SHAPE (holding SHIFT).
2. Take Path tool.
3. Click on on of the shape's path.
4. Click on one of path's point.
5. Press BACKSPACE.

Result 1/2 circle's shape.

Or you could do what window7 did in post #2, pull up your grid lines (option + ;) and place your circle inthe exact middle then erase half.

Got to be honest i have struggled with this one?

If you want 100% sure its a half you should use shape tool.
1. Take Elipse tool, make circle's SHAPE (holding SHIFT).
2. Take Path tool.
3. Click on on of the shape's path.
4. Click on one of path's point.
5. Press BACKSPACE.

Result 1/2 circle's shape.

Hey man.. i'm struggling from step 3.Can you show a printscreen?

So with "take path tool" you mean first choose "pen tool" then "paths" the second pen tool right?

Yes, pen tool (P). I for some unknown reason call it all path tool.
Just Pen tool first of that class.

At 3. holding CTRL (cursor goes to white arrow) click on shapes contour (black).
Screenshot don't show cursor so it useless this case.
At 4. hold CTRL then click on shapes (path) point.

Actually it will give unfinished shape, so if you want to use it as selection then anyway need to reset two opened shapes end by holding ALT+click on one and ALT+click on other. That will close shape correctly.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 11
Senior S i want to thank you really for your help with the printscreen and stuff but the to me the easiest way to make a half circle is like i described in post #2 and here is the result... .

The red stripes are made with just the same method.. first make a red circle and then with the rectangular marque tool cut out.

Here it is:

Logo.jpg

Looks okey. Method only matters for history, result is what is important.

Yes thank you but to be honest.. i didn't work with grids so the stripes(red and black ones)are not equal i'm sure!

But i did it just "fast" that's why.

But another annoying problem is that when i choose to show the grids i don't get enough little grids but to big ones.. how can i get smaller grids so i have more options to draw something?

Ok i found it.. "preferences" then "grids.. " then change "grids every" to minimal to get as much grids as needed.. i changed to "0,5".

Always more than one way to skin a cat:

Draw and fill the circle then add a layer mask. Make a large retangle on the mask and fill with black. Unlink the layer and mask (click the small icon between the mask and layer).

Now with the mask selected use the move tool to place the black retangle anywhere you want.

Always more than one way to skin a cat:
Hmm...familiar note...i think i've seen it today somewhere :D

P.S. I of course prefer my way becouse of 100% preciseness. Yes, snaping can help but still...

zoom in to get more precision in your grids, also an easy way to get half circle is to put 3 grids in an even distance from each other and using the elliptical marquee tool drag from the first grid line to the last grid line, hold shift to make a perfect circle, after that use the rectangular marquee and while holding alt select one half of the circle, this will leave you with a perfect selection of half a circle

Back