What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Actions How to find the longest image dimension in an action

jarhtmd

Sometimes changing an image's orientation makes for a drastically different impact. I want to create an action to quickly show me all 8 possibilities, by creating a square canvas (based on longest dimension) & then multiple layers, each rotated &/or flipped. That way I can quickly review all the choices.
My problem is determining the length of the longest side. Can that be done in an action?

Hi jarhtmd

I am guessing that you sticking point is creating the square canvas in which to do all the other manipulations so I will focus only on that step and if you need more you can always jump in to indicate that was not all you needed.

Here are the steps that should get you that square canvas

1) Load image into PS and convert that background Layer into a regular Layer
2) Duplicate the first Layer so you have tow identical Layers
3) Take layer 2 and rotate it 90 degrees e.g. Edit > Transform > Rotate 90 degrees counter clockwise
4) Reveal the entire new canvas e.g. Image > Reveal All

You now have a square canvas to the size of the longest dimension and also two Layers two of the eight versions of the desired image.

Hope this gets you started

John Wheeler

Thanks a million, John.
That is exact what I wanted. Converting the background layer to regular & reveal all were the missing ingredients.

Back