What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get as much detail out of an extremely dark photo

jonnyc

Just wondering if anyone can post step by step on how to get a get as much detail out of an extremely dark photo. Keep in mind that i am talking about photos that sometimes we take but aren't meant to be posted or send to anyone else, so it doesn't really have to look good. Here is one I have tried to lighten up. once I enhance it, I can see there is a iron work but I am not sure what it is (I have attached the original photo). I understand there is a limit to what can be done but I just want to know if I am reaching that limit. Thanks guys

Attachments

• 1407655469341_1407656289.jpg
    1407655469341_1407656289.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 11

Tom Mann

Guru
Is the "photo" a print, a slide (transparency), or a direct-to-digital image?

Tom M

MrToM

Guru
As it stands you'll get more detail out of it by converting it to a smart object and opening it in Camera Raw via:

Filter > Camera Raw Filter

How much more detail you can get I dunno, its obviously image dependant but there are more adjustments in Camera Raw than photoshop alone.

That's what I'd try.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
Good point @gedstar thanks.

The original image was created from Windows Photo Viewer so....Its anybody's guess! LOL

Sorry to lead ya on a wild goose chase.

Regards.
MrTom.

PS. I assume from the content of that post that the 'mention' was meant for me?
I'm MrTom, but I'm sure Tom will appreciate the mention anyway.

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
No worries Tom

I was actually playing around with the image in Camera Raw and wasn't able to achieve any better results, then again I haven't really use Camera Raw much maybe that's why :rofl:

gedstar

Guru
DOH :eek:

Yes sorry MrTom, I just assumed your name was Tom, thought it would be logical to take away the Mr and be left with Tom
Just goes to show Mr Spock's logic doesn't always work :)

MrToM

Guru
No worries mate.

I think the 'mention' thang works only with the 'exact' username....it just so happens this time there was actually a 'Tom' registered on the site.

(I got it wrong too...I thought it was Tom Mann.....LOL)

Spock has a lot to answer for.

Regards.
MrTom.

There are no details visible in the blacks. I opened up the mid tones with the curve tool as much as possible.

1407655469341_1407656289Chris.jpg