What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to invert colors to white and transparent

illko

Hi guys,

I basically want to achieve an effect where black and white image is inverted
in such a way, that white color (and transparent on some areas) replace the black
so it is visualized better on a black background.

Example of a skull where eyeballs are transparent, the bones are white with softening
white to the edges.

I hope I explained it well.

Thanks in advance!

MrToM

Guru
Create a marquee from one of the channels, it doesn't matter which as its greyscale so they should be all the same.

Once you have your marquee you can pretty much do whatever you want with it.

Using a channel creates a marquee based on the lighter pixels, the more grey the more transparent, totally black will be totally transparent.

Regards.
MrToM.

illko

Thanks for the fast reply. However I faced some difficulties.
Can you refer me to some example or tutorial here. Thanks!

Create a marquee from one of the channels, it doesn't matter which as its greyscale so they should be all the same.

Once you have your marquee you can pretty much do whatever you want with it.

Using a channel creates a marquee based on the lighter pixels, the more grey the more transparent, totally black will be totally transparent.

Regards.
MrToM.

illko

Wow ! You are awesome man!

Thank YOU VERY much!

The only difficulty I faced is with the
smooth transparency to the edges with 2 colored graphic.

I tried to achieve some sort of gradient.

Tom Mann

Guru
I must have read the OP's request completely wrong. I couldn't really understand his first statement, so I based my version on his second description / statement: "Example of a skull where eyeballs are transparent, the bones are white with softening white to the edges.". To make the transparency obvious, I just put a red solid layer behind it so that it looks like there is red light coming through the transparent eye sockets. Anyway, FWIW, here's my take on it ... first the original I worked from, then the one with the transparent eye sockets. What the heck, it's nearly Halloween, so it must be good for something, LOL.

Tom M

Attachments

• Human_skull_-_black_and_white-tjm01-acr-ps03a_698px_wide-2layers_8bpc-01_orig.jpg
    Human_skull_-_black_and_white-tjm01-acr-ps03a_698px_wide-2layers_8bpc-01_orig.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Human_skull_-_black_and_white-tjm01-acr-ps03a_698px_wide-2layers_8bpc-02_red_coming_from_inside.jpg
    Human_skull_-_black_and_white-tjm01-acr-ps03a_698px_wide-2layers_8bpc-02_red_coming_from_inside.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
And for a great Halloween decoration, here's a version with a pulsating red interior glow. Add an audio track of a beating heart and you've got a winner. :rofl:

Tom M

PS - I'm having way too much fun with this. :)

Attachments

• Human_skull_-_black_and_white-tjm01-acr-ps03a_698px_wide-2layers_8bpc.gif
    Human_skull_-_black_and_white-tjm01-acr-ps03a_698px_wide-2layers_8bpc.gif
    188.8 KB · Views: 19

illko

This is outstanding!

Very good effect! :)

And for a great Halloween decoration, here's a version with a pulsating red interior glow. Add an audio track of a beating heart and you've got a winner. :rofl:

Tom M

PS - I'm having way too much fun with this. :)

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks for checking in, Illko. So, which effect were you looking for, and why did you ask about inverting the original if you want the white bone in the original to remain white in the modified version?

Inquiring minds would love to know, LOL.

Tom M

PS - Oh, BTW, I just re-read my post and realized that I forgot to say how I obtained my effect. The answer is very simple, I just used the "Blend IF" sliders.

Last edited:

illko

I was looking after the first suggested effectby MrToM. It is for project in my
university, where we are making poster for charity, where we should use dark color - the color of
the university and I want to achieve some kind of white-transparent effect of silhouette over that background.

MrToM tip helped me alot, but I'm still working on achieving the the exact same
effect as I imagine it :)

And your effect is cool (it is not in use for the project though) and I will try it in the future.
Could you provide step by step :) ?

Thanks for checking in, Illko. So, which effect were you looking for, and why did you ask about inverting the original if you want the white bone in the original to remain white in the modified version?

Inquiring minds would love to know, LOL.

Tom M

PS - Oh, BTW, I just re-read my post and realized that I forgot to say how I obtained my effect. The answer is very simple, I just used the "Blend IF" sliders.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've been following this thread in earnest. I'm also very curious about this effect. Since you have had two great suggestions and still have not found a solution, perhaps it's time for you to post some examples. Let's see the skull your using for your poster.

Sometimes images are the best way for us to visualize what your needing.