What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make a texturized image with distressed look

LCN

I can't really replicate this look, does somebody know how to?​

Attachments

• tumblr_otb34ep89v1qzvhz9o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_otb34ep89v1qzvhz9o1_1280.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • tumblr_om7q8i6g6V1qzvhz9o1_1280 (1).jpg
    tumblr_om7q8i6g6V1qzvhz9o1_1280 (1).jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 6

gedstar

Guru
Hi and welcome to PSG

It's really hard to say what effect where applied to the images, I could be completely wrong here but the first image looks like it has some kinda negative effect applied and maybe a grunge texture added, the second looks like maybe another grunge texture was used.
Maybe someone else will come along to shed some light on it

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Like gedstar said, its an old B&W negative with some sepia tones to reproduce the decay of the slide/negative.
On top of that is a linnen texture in an unknown blend mode.

1. The effect you see is called 'solarization', a very 'old school' technique that had been achieved by experimenting in the 'darkroom', while developing a print. Must have been back in 1960.
During this process you could switch on the light for a few seconds, then switch it off again and watch the solarisation effect to appear.
When the desired effect was visually ok for you, put the print into the stop bath and after that in the fixer bath. After another few minutes you rinse the print in flowing water.
Only now was the time to switch on the light and hopefully admire your work. The typical effect is a combination of negative and positive elements in the same image.

2. Your posted image shows this solarization effect, but only if you invert the image with Photoshop.
The pattern you see must be from a old printed brochure or a old book. The typical screen dots are visible from those old printing machines.

That being said, i'll post the inverted image. Maybe later I'll give it a try to do it in PS.
Or maybe another member of the forum will try it.

tumblr_om7q8i6g6V1qzvhz9o1_1280 (1)+.jpg

JustLearning

I'm fairly new to Photoshop and sometimes do things a little more difficult than I should. Although, this is how I would do it: to mimic this design in Photoshop look up how to do B&W solarization in photoshop and then add a layer and play around with adding different shades of blue jean textures. Just erase and adjust the opacity of the texture until you get the achieved look you would like.

Here's a quick and easy example.

With your select photo, go to Image>Adjustments>invert.

Then duplicate the layer. Turn off the top layer. On the bottom layer, go to Filter>Pixelate>Color Halftone.

Mess with the settings to get the right size and color and look for your dots.

My dots are too big 'cause I pulled a really small photo off Google.

But, you get the idea.

Attachments

• mustang.jpg
    mustang.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 20
  • mustang_INVERT.jpg
    mustang_INVERT.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 20
I totally forgot the last step on mine - reduce the opacity of your top layer so the halftone layer shows through!!!

Eggy

Retired Moderator
No, no Chris, threads are only closed in the Freelance section when the OP didn't react after 10 days or on demand of the OP... :cheesygrin: