What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make PS show your actual print size (in case it's not already)

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I was watching a video about Photoshop and the pro broached the subject of how to set your PS preferences, so that you get a true representation of your documents print size. Seems this was a topic a while back and I'm not sure it was ever answered. Here is an explanation and the fix.

Seems that Adobe sets the default for screen resolution in Preferences/ Units and Rulers to 72ppi. Today's monitors are usually more than that, so when you tell PS to show you Print Size, it's going to show you something less than what it actually is. To fix this is actually pretty simple. Here's how.

1. Create a new document 9" x 9" @ 300ppi, use white for the background color.
2. In your zoom mode activate Print Size
3. Grab a tape measure and carefully measure what your seeing on the screen. If it is not 9x9, then your setting is not set properly in Preferences/Units and Rulers.
4. More than likely your measurement is smaller by a good bit. At this point, create a correction factor by dividing 9 by the actual measurement.
5. Then, in the Preferences as previously described, if 72ppi, multiply by the factor you just created and enter it exactly (not rounded) to the decimal point.
Now, when you ask PS to show Print Size it will show you the actual, not something less.

Hope this of help to someone.

hawkeye

Guru
Or just measure the width of your screen. Then divide the inch width into the pixel width to get the PPI. Then enter that number into screen resolution under Preferences-Units & Rulers.

MikeMc

McGuru
We need a math section.....post up your fav algorithms.......:rofl:

ALB68

iDad

Guru
Math is like a toothache....I really look forward to it....NOT! That's what my calculator is for and some of those blow my mind nowadays!

ALB68

Huummmm Kemosabi...Tonto think your mind already blown without calculator machine :rofl:
Math is like a toothache....I really look forward to it....NOT! That's what my calculator is for and some of those blow my mind nowadays!

iDad

Guru
I know where the next X is going to be found, Mister LiZad and it ain't gonna be where the sun shines!:mrgreen:

iDad

Guru
Larry's cruisin for a bruisin too.... We gotta get his face in AW :cheesygrin: