What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to paint inside with brush like this?

Fatih

Hi everybody!
I want to know that how to color shapes or drawings without going over the lines like in the video below. I don't want to make a selection then paint inside. Just want to color exactly seen on that video.
What is the easiest way to do that?

https://youtu.be/JiGqh1p6bQs?t=10s

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Faith

In the video, while the person paints in the area of the black lines, they are still being careful not to draw outside the black lines. For this to work in photoshop

1) Have the black outline on one layer
2) On the next layer up, have it set to the blend mode of darken and paint colors on that layer. When you paint on the black lines, it will still show black since that is the darker color.

Hope this helps
John Wheeler

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Faith.

As usual, there are many ways to accomplish this, so here's one way to do it.

1. Create your shape. I have substituted a circle for the Ice Cream scoop. I used the Ellipse Tool to do this example. This is on a transparent BG.
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 10.02.37 PM.png

2. Create a new layer below the shape layer. Fill this layer with white. I used SHIFT + DELETE contents set to white.

3. Create a third layer between the two. Use the Elliptical Marquis Tool to create a selection slightly larger than the inside of the circle.
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 10.14.28 PM.png

Now go to LAYER > LAYER MASK > REVEAL SELECTION, this will add a layer mask in the shape of your selection to this layer.
Click once on the layer thumbnail to select the layer (and not the mask), the layer thumbnail will now have the white brackets around it.

Now, select your Brush Tool, set to a color of choice. And paint away! The color will never leave the masked area!
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 10.15.16 PM.png

Here is what the layers panel will look like.
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 10.28.32 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here, I have used the same masking technique on a Ice Cream Cone.

The black outline of the Ice Cream part of a cone....
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 10.35.44 PM.png

Then I paint in the masked area of the Ice Cream....
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 10.30.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 10.31.17 PM.png

The layers panel.
(I just hit Cmd/Cntrl + click the layer mask thumbnail to duplicate the selection for the next mask or you can just hold down Opt/Alt and drag the layer mask to the new layer)
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 10.37.52 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In the case of a multiple scoop Ice Cream Cone, you have to make a selection of both scoops.

Here I use the the Magic Wand Tool to make the selections of the two scoops. You make one selection, then hold the shift key to make the next one.
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 10.51.48 PM.png

Then I expanded the selection by 4 pixels.
Go to SELECT > MODIFY > EXPAND, then enter 4 pixels. Doing this makes sure your completely beneath your black outlines and you won't have white showing through.

Create a layer beneath the "Cone" layer and select/highlight the layer.
Now go to LAYER > LAYER MASK > REVEAL SELECTION, this will add a layer mask in the shape of your selection to this layer.

Click once on the layer thumbnail to select the layer (and not the mask), the layer thumbnail will now have the white brackets around it.

Now, select your Brush Tool, set to a color of choice. And paint away! The color will never leave the masked area!
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 10.53.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 10.53.31 PM.png