What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to provide downloadable logo templates?

aprilm

Hi. This is my first post. I design logos, and lately, I have been trying to think of creative ways to offer my logo concepts to people. If I created psd logo templates, and offered them on my site as downloads, how would people go about changing the text in the template files if the text had effects on it? Is there any simple way to easily allow customization on letters, yet still retain the ability to apply layered effects?
Hope this makes sense!
Thanks in advance.

Hi. Yes I understand that, but what if you have layered effects on text. How do downloaders customize this text within their psd or ai app and still keep these effects on their own text?

For example, say I created a top layer and applied effects to the text that way, how could I make it so I could flatten that effect on the text and allow it to remain on any new text they may replace the old with?

Is there a plugin for this?

Well the solution is simple, do not flatten the text. Keep it editable so that whoever downloads the logos can replace it with their own text and keep the layer styles/effects.

Thanks again for your reply. I understand that I can keep the text editable and not flatten it. I don't think I am making myself clear...my apologies....

Let's say I have the word "Company" in the psd template. The "C" in the word "Company" has a gradient layer over it that matches the shape of the "C" perfectly. If it were any other letter, the gradient would have to be a bit different to look right.

My user downloads the file, opens it up in Photoshop, and wants to change the word "Company" to their own name. He goes to change the letter "C", but because the gradient fit the"C" just right, his new letter does not work with the "C's" effect.

Is there any work around so my user can still benefit from the cool effect that was on the "C", but be able to change the letter and not have to reapply the effect to suit his own letter?

There are two ways you can add a gradient to some text and keep it editable.

The first and easiest is to use a Gradient Overlay layer style, this is the method I recommend.

The second way you could do this is to make a layer with the gradient on it and place it over the text layer, then position your cursor between the two layers and hold in the Alt key and click. This will clip the gradient layer to the text layer, so it will only show in the shape of the text. You can still edit the text, but if you move it around it will show different parts of the gradient. This method should only be used if you can not get the desired effect using a gradient layer style.

You will want to consider these things when you are designing a logo fro someone to download. You want to do everything in a non-destructive way and maintain maximum editability. You should make use of adjustment layers, smart objects, layer styles, etc. Does that make sense?

Yes thank you very much. I will look more into those methods you suggested. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Glad to help aprilm, let us know if you have any other questions.

Back