What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How To Retouch Jewelry ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonynguyen10

Hey everyone,

I jewelry rings, bracelets, etc that I want to start selling online. My camera can only do so much so photoshop is needed in order to make the pics look spectacular. Below is a before and after someone I asked to retouch for me. He's planning to charge me a little too high and I was wondering how hard it was before I actually start paying him. Can anyone provide me with a few steps on how to retouch like how he did below? I am intermediate on PS. Thanks for your help!!

Capture.JPG

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
It's not that hard, really. Isolate the ring less shadow on its own layer .... fill the background layer with new color..... adjust hue and saturation + brightness / contrast on the ring.... combine picture of tab label ( you may want to adjust Hue&sat=Brightness/contrast to match the ring (somehow his re-touch on the tab isn't a match))..... and add a shadow using a copy of the ring and tab filled black and lowered opacity with a little imagination for what the ring and tab shadow would look like in that lighting (notice that "fork" next to the gem?.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
But to me , his ring work looks kinda dead. The original even looks better. But I see what he was getting at, add a gold looking texture and color to give life to the gem. He needs to add more oomph to the gem.

You may want to use the airbrush set at a weak flow to add highlights. And maybe throw in a PS made sparkle (There's a few in the brush shapes) but you have to retouch it to look real.

tonynguyen10

DV8,

Thanks for your reply! So this is what I got so far... How do I finish this baby off :cheesygrin:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 86

tonynguyen10

Wow that looks great!

I guess my goal with the ring(s) is to photoshop them to make them look presentable so I can sell. The image your made is veeeery pretty, but wouldn't align with selling it online.. great job though....

hawkeye

Guru
No offense intended, but I think you'll be much better off paying to have the work done if you are trying to make sales... At least until you have a much better understanding of Photoshop.

tonynguyen10

None take hawkeye. I honestly agree w/ you!! I just really like the PS program and would love to learn how to do these things. I have a great amount of respect for designers and just want to learn some basics, thats all =)

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
hawkeye said:
No offense intended, but I think you'll be much better off paying to have the work done if you are trying to make sales... At least until you have a much better understanding of Photoshop. =)

Same thoughts, too. If unsure how to do it, and it's for real promotional use, you're better off leaving it to an expert. And since you're paying for it, you have the right to ask for the best work.

Last edited:

bgoodman4

I realize this is an old thread but thought I would post to it in case someone would benefit. I am a jeweller and while I do not sell my work on-line I do a lot of photography for promotional purposes. I have have a few tips that should make photographing jewellery easier.

1 - if possible shoot your picks using your PC as the controller. For example I have a Cannon camera and I use PSremote which is loaded on my PC to control the camera and take the shots. Its much easier to see what you will be getting, and to tweak a shot if nec, if you are able to see it on a large screen rather than on the small screen on your camera.

2 - put the camera on a tripod and use macro if available. Bracket every shot (I set my control to take 5 bracketed shots - I will explain why so many below).

3 - use a photo tent so you can eliminate as many coloured reflections as possible and have a soft filtered light.

4 - keeping the camera and item in one location move your lights around and take a number of bracketed shots (again I will explain why in a moment).

5 - look at the various shots you have taken and find the best ones, you will generally want at least one that is a bit on the bright side and one that is on the dark side. The images MUST have the exact same orientation (this is why you do multiple shots without moving the the camera and piece. Keeping these in place but moving the light source between shots will allow you to pick the best shots - more on this below). You will want one of these images to have good detail (generally the darker picture will provide this) and the lighter one will be used to counter the darkness without sacrificing the crispness of the detail. Copy the lighter picture and paste it into PS on top of the darker one. The 2 should be perfectly aligned. Adjust the opacity of the top layer until you get a pic that is bright enough for your taste and that shows good detail and colour.

6 - flatten the two layers and using the clone tool and a soft brush touch up any hot spots and tweak any areas that are off in terms of the colour of the metal or stones.

The above is a general guide. I have used more than 2 shots together many times. I have used sections from one shot and sections from another by erasing sections of the top layer using a soft brush/eraser at a moderate strength (generally 14 to 20% so I have good control). You can get into tweaking saturation etc so really the sky is the limit as to how much you can do but more often than not this is not nec.

Think of your shots as if you were doing a variation on high dynamic range photography. You are shooting multiple shots so as to get the best results for each part or aspect of the subject. Some sections will need more exposure, some less, some aspects of the piece will look better with the light coming from one direction others with it coming from a different one.

If your item has a stone take a shot that gives you the best looking stone you can get, then, combine it with the best shot of the shank available, etc etc. As I said, the sky is the limit and it can take some time to get to the end result, but since the quality of the shot will have a big impact on your ability to sell the item it will be time well spent.

Last but not least play with the process, after a while you will get a sense of what will work best and the process will get faster.

I hope someone finds the above of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.