What's new

How to turn a sphere into a rectangle?

welshmcspicy

Hello,
I've searched the forums but haven't found any similar post.

Basically I have a sphere that I want to turn into a rectangle.

I guess the best way for me to describe it is the reverse of taking the left and right sides of a landscape photo and bending them up and around to form a sphere.

I'm loath to mess with tools that tend to liquify or smudge since I want to retain the clarity of the original content as much as possible.

Hope that makes sense. Appreciate any recommendations.
Thanks
Tony.

Argos

Guru
Maybe i don't understand entirely the problem without the image, but not will be easier to create the rectangle directly?

welshmcspicy

Let me explain further.
For example, take an image of an iris (of the eye). I want to turn that into a rectangular representation. So my starting point is a spherical shape, no way around that unfortunately.

Argos

Guru
Why no cut the eye with a rectangle selection?
But i think my inglish is not good enought and i can't understand the problem, so lets see what other members say XD

Cheers!

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
This work of mine is nutz.....lol.

Had to try the Puppet Warp on it.... may need a bit of trial and error where to add the anchor points and a whole lot of wrestling to straighten the edges..... but it just might work.... :cheesygrin:

Sphere-Rec1.jpg
Sphere-Rec2.jpg
Sphere-Rec3.jpg

Someone here may have something else.....

Hoogle

Guru
Oh tom already suggested my solution take your image go to filter > Distort > Polar Coordinates then check the box at the bottom that states rectangular. using Eggys image this is what you get

eye-162183_960_720.png

Becomes
eye-162183_960_720sq.png