What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DefiantWhisperz

New member obviously. I am a traditional artist transitioning to digital art. I greet all of you with best wishes from South USA...

Being a traditional artist. My first nature is to use my hands to smudge smear or light fire to canvas or whatever medium I am using. Using these tools that magically undo mistakes has been the most infuriating and interesting aspect of trying digital art. Here is my first attempt at learning Procreate and PS. I am at standpoint where I need help to finish this piece. I have moved on to starting 6 projects. Which is normal to me since I always worked on 4-6 art pieces at one time. Thank you for looking. And feedback - help would be so appreciated*

Canvas, cars, clubs full interior design and or painted walls. Event art creator. So I decided to grab a art pad for my pc.. Then bought a ipad pro to use procreate. This is my first attempt at Drawing and using the tools, layers, and the 50 million other options in the programs. The transition has been so painful yet fun. I would like to pick up the tool of my choice and just go start to finish with out wondering should I gray scale? Am I using the layers and tools efficiently!!? If anyone knows a good course or better yet a person that could guide me would be great. Thank you! This is a 19 mb jpeg downsized to 714 kb. Lol.

A18F8923-C58F-4B7A-B893-840FEB934A5B.jpeg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to the forum. If you have any Ps related questions, don't hesitate to ask. I don't know of any members who use Procreate. There might be help HERE. Good luck!

DefiantWhisperz

Hello and welcome to the forum. If you have any Ps related questions, don't hesitate to ask. I don't know of any members who use Procreate. There might be help HERE. Good luck!
OK. So I wrote a bit much. Lilith was done in Procreate true. But I have started her in Photoshop and stared plenty more pieces non finished. Done in (Photoshop) also. I am. Actually trying to finish this piece in photoshop. What I need is someone that I can share through the ( Invite to edit ~tab. To let them see the layers and suggest using a certain tool, this layer will accomplish... IE. Hopefully there is a digital artist that would spend the time to teach a few pointers. I hope this is clear enough. I do have the usual ADD, dyslexia that alot of artist inherit. I'm just adding one as I don't know rules on nudity etc. This is Photoshop same issue. I don't know where to go with layers. Should I be doing sketch then use gradient to color? I am painting as I go. I think I am missing a more structured approach? And thank you for responding IamSam~30E66ABD-664D-4A3D-BCC1-E4F480D9F0B2.jpeg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What I need is someone that I can share through the ( Invite to edit ~tab. To let them see the layers and suggest using a certain tool, this layer will accomplish... IE. Hopefully there is a digital artist that would spend the time to teach a few pointers.
Not sure what you're referring to as an "invite to edit tab". You may need to explain. In the General Ps board, you can post screen shots of your layers panel or even a PDF file if needed. As far as suggesting tools, you would need to pose a question on or about a certain technique or effect you're trying to accomplish.

I'm just adding one as I don't know rules on nudity etc.
If you want to showcase different artworks, please post them in the showroom. There you can receive CC. Absolutely no nudity.

I don't know where to go with layers. Should I be doing sketch then use gradient to color?
I suggest utilizing layers as much as possible especially when dealing with different aspects of the artwork. This provides you the ability to edit/manipulate these aspects separately.

Should I be doing sketch then use gradient to color?
This would be dependent on what you were trying to accomplish and how you personally define the use of gradients.

I myself am a converted traditional artist. I have recently grown very interested in NFT's (crypto). Digital art is on fire right now!

DefiantWhisperz

Thank you IamSam. You broke down a mass load of jumbled thoughts and answered each one. You should be a college professor 🙌. In the future I will ask one specific question at a time. Thank you. Thank you for clarifying uploading pdf-screen shots of layers! Thank you for clarification on the no nudity lol. But let me shed light on a huge misstep of mine. I am now ( as in since Monday) working in Photoshop Online). I was using my master file of CS6 before on pc.. Along with many other programs. Point being. I have now gone through Fresco and The Various apps. I am not as lost as I thought. Thank lordy. And I will post art work in the proper forum department. Thank you. I do have a question for you. Since you are-were a traditional artist. When you began digital art. Did you take a class at first? Or just self taught? Just curious

hawkeye

Guru
When I taught Photoshop one of the biggest questions I got was, when should I use a new layer? My answer was and still is, almost always. You can merge layers later if you wish, but once done they can seldom be easily separated. If you don't already, it's a good idea to learn about the use of smart objects.