What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i love recoloring!! (new recoloring inside)

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
i love this, it's so liberating! :D

Before:
bw_ash_screen.jpg

After
recolor 2.jpg

C&C welcome as usual, i'd love to hear what you guys n gals think of this be as harsh as you want :thumbsup:

Hoogle

Guru
THe colouring is fine except for right side of the neck where it is still black and white and the pupils of the eyes need work on but they have large catch lights so will be tricky to do i would copy just the pupils to a new layer desaturate the layer adjust levels or curves to darken them up and set the blending mode to darken and hopefully you will still get the catchlights come through from underneath but apart from that I think you have the principal and techniques down to do a Caucasian person but now the challenge is for different ethnicity groups well done and Good luck

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
aah fack i thought i missed a bit, thanks for pointing that out hoogle, and thanks for the darkening techniques too :D

Hoogle

Guru
trust me I have spent hours on similar things and then flattened the image etc or saved it and deleted the original psd then opened it a few days later and realised I have missed out a big patch

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
yeah, i know that feeling, these days i allways remember to save the original PSD copy :p

recolor2-fix.jpg
fixed! i hope :p

ibclare

Queen Bee
I think there is something I don't understand about recoloring. I think it is very pretty, very soft, and the suggestion you took about the pupils worked out well. But . . . shouldn't the skin be just a bit deeper color, more saturated? I don't know about these things when you're taking a B&W; is there an expected outcome? I'm not criticizing; I can't do this half as well.

I have a suggestion. I think it would be cool to put a little zing of radiance into the earring, a sparkle effect maybe. Kind of like the light bursts we were making for the space challenge. Just a thought.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
I think there is something I don't understand about recoloring. I think it is very pretty, very soft, and the suggestion you took about the pupils worked out well. But . . . shouldn't the skin be just a bit deeper color, more saturated? I don't know about these things when you're taking a B&W; is there an expected outcome? I'm not criticizing; I can't do this half as well.

I have a suggestion. I think it would be cool to put a little zing of radiance into the earring, a sparkle effect maybe. Kind of like the light bursts we were making for the space challenge. Just a thought.

morning clare, if it's morning where you are :p could be afternoon now :p yeah it's about 12 o clock in CA now isn't it? :p

deeper colored skin and a lighting effect? shall do! :D

with me there is no expected outcome, i just look at it and see if it's a certain skin tone and eye color in my head, then i try and get it down, if it doesnt work out i either redo it or go along! :D

and hey, i asked for the criticism :p and it's not as if you are a blunt @ss hole XD

Last edited:

Hoogle

Guru
Ok by different ethnics I did not mean different species lol had a quick play with your other pic as I thought something was missing it did look a bit desaturated as Clare said so just did some tweaking
recolor2-fix.jpg

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
looks awesome hoogle ;) with the cat one, i felt i needed to branch out a little and try something new XD

Hoogle

Guru
yeah the more practice you get doing anything then it gets easier try a jungle scene or a forest scene next then you know you will have it down

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
awesome thanks for the tip there hoogle :p
recolor2fix2.jpg
there's my one upped in saturation, still got to add the light yet though

Hoogle

Guru
I didnt notice it either but maybe running a low opacity black brush over her shoulder in the finishing touches her hair is gray

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
sorry? i didn;t quite understand that, my brain is slowing down again :p

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
aahh XD so it is! i'll just fix that up then thanks hoogle

Last edited:

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
i recolored her grey bit to brown like i did with the rest of her grey bits.
recolor2fix3.jpg
added the lighitng effect onto her earring while i was at it.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Nice Zee; you did a very good job. On the species switch too! I think the radiance is a bit too radiant. Must be a "Hearts on Fire" diamond huh? Do you have an x-shaped brush to work with? Are you using a blending mode on the sparkle? I assume it's on its own layer. Take a look at Hoogle's example.

That guy really loves blue eyes. Are you blue-eyed Hoogle? As if we didn't know. :rolleyes:

Last edited: