What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideas for this design?

JGAN

hey guys,
little bit new to photoshop here. i do know how to generate certain effects and whatnot, just not well :p what i am trying to do is design a logo that reads "c4" using part(s) of a cello. my current idea is using the c curve as the "c" and adding an explosive/bursting "4" next to it. take a look here: goo.gl/mH2L0

my only problem is that i cant really get the "c" to be fully legible to somebody who doesnt already know what its supposed to be. i need some ideas to highlight it/bring it out. currently, it has a simple glow effect on one side. the problem is that if i add this glow to both sides, it almost disembodies the curve from the actual instrument. a (primitive) example of that is here: goo.gl/Wt38G

basically, i need some ideas and advice on bringing out the "c." oh, and feel free to point out any other faults in the design (basically give me **** pl0x)! i need this to be an awesome/badass design that can last ;D

cheers,
JGAN

p.s. sorry i cant hyperlink; i dont have enough posts :/ haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi JGAN

Welcome to PhotoShop Gurus.

I'm gonna be honest whit you, you need to start from scratch whit you cello logo, the image you linked doesn't resemble a logo in any way, it seems like an image composed whit a cello and a number, either way it wont work, you may want to check this designs for inspiration,
Creative Guitar Logos for Inspiration , also here Beautiful Designs of Guitar Logo.

I know this is not a cello, but guitar logo design, but same concept applies.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
yea youre right; mine is way to graphic-heavy/complex :/ maybe it should be relegated to posters...?

JGAN, just an observation. I don't think the cello and the exploding 4 go together at all. Their styles are too different. Besides as Sir M said, it isn't logo material as it is. But ... you're probably on the right track brainstorming it. But don't get stopped in your tracks by one idea. Be willing to give up on a design idea when it just doesn't work and come up with new ones. In fact, it's always best to create more than one idea to begin with. But, first learn the basics. You have some tutorial and reference links above to help.

Also, if you want to share what c 4 is about and how the cello fits in, maybe we could help with ideas. :mrgreen:

Just for clarification purposes are you designing a logo or an image for print? Max is right concerning a logo, if your making an image then it can be as complex as you like. If your designing an image then I feel that the four doesn't fit the context very well. Maybe a bit more elegant looking four would do nicely with some other feature bringing in the explosive feel your trying to bring about. Perhaps an explosion of musical notes or something like that.

Just my thoughts. Bear in mind that creativity is not my strong suit.

C4 is a hardcore cello quartet :)

im going to use this image for posters, flyers, handouts, etc now, as it is just waaaaay too complex! currently, i do have an idea for a clean, simple logo that i will post once i finish that turkey ;) so happy thanksgiving!

sounds good JGAN. I look forward to seeing your results. A stylized cello section would make a good "C" and might go well with an exploding "4." Lots of ideas to kick around there. A hardcore cello quartet! What do you do, rap on the instruments? Sorry, bad joke. Just never heard of such a thing. Pretty provincial, huh?

hahahaha no we actually play them ;) youtube.com/watch?v=8JjQGt7WjK0 <-not us, but same idea

what do you mean by "a stylized cello section would make a good 'C'" or was that just a joke? heh :)

oh and yes i would like to keep the exploding "4" in the original... any tips on how to integrate it better?

No, no, that was not a joke. I meant that for me, the realistic cello and the exploding four are such different styles that I don't think they work together. The "4" is what I would call more stylized. So if you could make the cello a more simple representation of a cello, and make it more playful or more aggressive in feel, then I think it could work well with the 4. As for suggestions on how to do this . . . I haven't any at the moment, but since I'm done with my duties, I'll play around with it some. Though suddenly it's a lot later in the day than I thought it was!
:mrgreen:

Here's an idea. It isn't simple enough yet for a logo but maybe you get the idea.

cello.jpg

along similar lines:

cello2.jpg cello3.jpg

Last edited:
ok i just about finished my design except for the text... can anybody tell me how to create custom letters/characters/text? ive tried using the pen tool but its just too **** hard to get it perfect :/

Practice and patience are two other Photoshop requirements, just keep doing what you are doing - it will come.

When I make custom letters, which is not very often, I set up a grid and work within that. It is not easy, but it isn't really hard either, and it also depends on how standard vs. offbeat you want them.

ok thanks for the tips guys... i actually kind of mastered it - to a certain extent :p however, the text just clashes with the photo and just makes it look completely like popart. does anybody have any tips on creating real badass/hardcore looking text? kind of like link-> is.gd/AE2gVA <-link

You can use software like font creator, which is open source I believe, and edit a font that is similar to what you want. Though to do just a few letters, I would recommend you get good at the pen tool. For some reason though, I find Illustrator so much easier to use the pen with, and I don't know why.

well, to be more specific, do you have any tips on where to start? and what sort of technique i should use? etc etc

Back