What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image rotating between PS and Indesign

SeniorS

Guru
Problem: "peoples" gives me Indesign file with image links, i must cmyk it and improve images.
And often image preview at file explorer is with 90degree rotation but when PS opens it everthings looks correct. After saving preview changes to correct rotation and Ingesign rotates it too and now image is -90degree and i have to go back to PS and rotate it in wrong (for viewing in PS) way and save again. Problem solved but thats very frustating and very good because sometimes there isn't Indesign file (so i don't see which one rotate back) and "peoples" keeps complaing that i rotate images for fun (at their point it looks like that).

I assume that image been captured with angle and there is at EXIF that info and somehow PS reads it but Indesing don't or something like that. And PS saving clears it or maybe just makes it understandable to Ingesing.

(Almoust every "portret" image needs rotate to "landscape")

I'm not sure for that and that's my question - how to avoid that if i can't change Indesign file but can change only images?

Switching in PS preferences Ignore EXIF profile tag doesn't do any good.

P.S. my english is low so i make simple sentences as posible and hope not loosing idea.

Last edited:
to be honest, I do not understand your question or situation here. Hopefully another has an idea for you

you right, text is unclear so i make screenshots, hope it's help.

1. client gives image which in fileexplorer looks like:
folderview.jpg

2. here is how it looks just drug and rotate -90 degree in Ingesign:
indesign1.jpg

3. and thats HOW PS understand image (without any rotate):
ps1.jpg

4. when done some correction in PS (not rotate) and save here is result Indesign after image update:
indesign2.jpg

you see its falls for 90 degree (without changing image option)!!!

5. with PS i have to rotate -90 degree and save:
ps2.jpg

6: now in Indesign after update all looks nice and correct:
indesign3.jpg

Its so frustrating and annoying and i so hate to do things that are tottaly unnecesary.

My thought is that camera shots image with 90 degree and thats information goes with image but not explorer or Indesign seems doesn't care about it.
But PS see that info and first shows image at correct angle and after saving save angle information in way that Indesign see it (but image been rotate before so result isn't correct). Looks like PS fault.
Only obvious EXIF option in preference - Ignore EXIF profile tag does no good.
Maybe there is somthing else?

At one point - not a big deal but problems start when i don't see Indesign file and don't know which image needs aditional ratating. Or when costumer tells that he/she wants image with darker top. So open image and trying understand where exatcly top is now. Not cool.

Any sugestions?

I've had the same problem. I can't quite figure out why but specific images from Photoshop are rotated 90 degrees within inDesign out of no where. I can't add anything beyond that to this thread.

Back