What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image sizing help

SimonPerkins

Hey all!

I need a bit of help, I'm brand new to using Photoshop!

Basically, I've just started a new job and Tesco's have asked for a certain product image. This isn't a problem I just need to go and photograph it. However, they have asked for the following criteria for their uses;

Please ensure they meet the following requirements as the top 2 lines were rejected as they did not:​
Resolution: 300 dpi
File Size: When opened in Photoshop the image size should be at least 8mb
Image Size: A minimum of 180mm x 180mm, preferably 297mm x 297mm

How will I go about meeting these requirements once I have the image? Should I take the photo in a certain setting?

I know this is probably really simple, but again, completely new to Photoshop!

Thanks!

Hi Simon

Make sure you have decent camera and take your photo on the highest settings it has, then you can resize the image by cropping it in photoshop to 297 x 297 and going into the image size menu and making sure the DPI is set to 300. I would also suggest that you find out what type of file they are looking for as a JPEG is unlikely to meet these requirements so a TIFF might be more reasonable. Final thing is to check whether or not the final image is destined for the web or print, this will change the document colour settings (RGB for web or CMYK for print). Once you have your photo this should all take 30 seconds :)

Let us know if you need any more info or post the image and someone will happily take you through it step by step.

Good luck getting used to photoshop - you might find you like it....

webwize

Edit - just re read your post and by the look of it you can save it as a PSD as they have photoshop already.

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick reply - just been given a load of other images to do this with!

Right, crop (I assume to size 297x297mm is an option)

Change the Resolution to 300, I assume that's Pixels to the inch!

Save it as a PSD to retain the quality then that should be job done?!

Yes, it's certainly taking some getting used to! Also trying to Juggle Illustrator and InDesign at the same time!

Hi Simon

if the photo needs to be cropped to get the composition you are looking for then yes, there are two boxes at the top of the screen that you can input the crop dimensions. However this will simply constrain the proportions - to make sure the image size is 297 x 297 go to Image/Image Size in the menu's and you will be able to change the actual image size in there (and the DPI etc).

If you have a lot of these to do you could set up an action to do most of this at the click of a button, but that's another matter :)

Hi Simon

if the photo needs to be cropped to get the composition you are looking for then yes, there are two boxes at the top of the screen that you can input the crop dimensions. However this will simply constrain the proportions - to make sure the image size is 297 x 297 go to Image/Image Size in the menu's and you will be able to change the actual image size in there (and the DPI etc).

If you have a lot of these to do you could set up an action to do most of this at the click of a button, but that's another matter :)

I think I've done it!

I'll be back if Tesco's tell me I've done it completely wrong!

Thanks for your help!

Back