What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this good? By: a noob

furyy

Hey guys, I'm not so good at photoshop, but I tried to manipulate my friend's photo. Is this pretty good? Any feedbacks would be helpful!psnic.PNGnicolebay.png
:cheesygrin:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Not bad at all.
When 'cutting out' be sure to soften the edges of the shadows since they became hard when doing the selection.
For that local work you can use the soften tool.
There's also a lack of light/dark contrast in the folds of the new dress and the colors are a bit too saturated since the sunlight is coming from the top right of the image and most of the dress isn't exposed to sunlight.

Argos

Guru
Nice, i thing you need to low the expostion and contrast on that skirt, erase a little the upper part of the skirt so you can see the entire shirt and part of the shadow and try to clone a little the black countourn of the hand . I think with this it will look much more realistic.

Cheers!

furyy

Not bad at all.
When 'cutting out' be sure to soften the edges of the shadows since they became hard when doing the selection.
For that local work you can use the soften tool.
There's also a lack of light/dark contrast in the folds of the new dress and the colors are a bit too saturated since the sunlight is coming from the top right of the image and most of the dress isn't exposed to sunlight.

Any advice on how to do the light/dark contrast on the folds? Maybe an example would be good. I think I can do the saturation by myself.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Add a hue/saturation adjustment layer to the skirt layer
Reduce the lightness and since the adjustment layer is coming with a layer mask, use that layer mask to brush away (with a brush set to black) the parts that need to be brighter.
You'll have to experiment with the hardness and opacity of the brush.

furyy

OK, I've only done the saturation part. Let me know If I should saturate or desaturate it more .I darkened the whole skirt a little bit. I am still confused on the light dark contrast of the foldings, its very difficult. I'm trying to clone out the black outlines, I need to be thorough on that task.
saturation.png

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Much better indeed.
If you want to accentuate the inside of the folds you need to darken the skirt layer much more and then use the layer mask that comes with the hue/saturation adjustment layer and brush away the part that do need to be lighter.
You do know how to work with a layer mask do you?

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Now try darken the skirt with the adjustment layer and brush away, softly and at 25 % opacity (you can always do a second run) the parts needing the be lighter.

furyy

OK, here's the final product. I think the tweaks on the folds are not to visible, but they are there. I used the layer mask just liked you said. Thanks for the support guys!nicolebay3.png

Argos

Guru
Nice work on the job itself, but you have to be carefull because you previously add exposition to the shirt, girl , etc... and adding so much shadow on the skirt after that it look less blended to me than the last one.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I for instance, feel that this is good.
Remember, light creates shadows, and here they are perfect for me.

Argos

Guru
Maybe i'm wrong but in this photo the light is behind her, for example if you look her face is the softest light, no hard shadows, and its the same light on the skirt.

furyy

I think its good as what it is now... I'm tired to edit it more. I showed to my friend and she said is very awesome. Anyways, thank you so much for the feedback guys!