What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light Grey Background on mockup

Photoshopphil

Hi All,

Shadow Layer Working Fine, But There Is Light Grey Cover Over The Entire Document

I am working with some mockup photoshop files (from mockups-design.com), where you enter the front cover of your publication, and it makes it look like a full booklet by adding a spine with shadowing etc.

Everything looks fine on the screen, but if I save the document (i have been saving as .PSD or .PNG), there is a light grey background instead of the transparent background that I am trying for.

By going through the layers, I have found that when the shadow layer is turned off, everything is then fine - i have a graphic that can be imported into a desktop publisher etc with transparent background, but by doing this I lose the shadow, and this does add to the quality of the effect.

I will attached screenshots, and see if I can attach the psd file.

1.From Within Photoshop CS6.png
2. Saved as a PNG graphic (showing the background as light grey).png
3. The light grey background is gone when shadow layer is disabled.png

Was unable to attach the actual psd file, as stating too large.

First time post.

1.From Within Photoshop CS6.PNG

2. Saved as a PNG graphic (showing the background as light grey).PNG

3. The light grey background is gone when shadow layer is disabled.png

Photoshopphil

Hi colleague,
Thanks for your trouble.
I just opened the PSD file you modified.
It looks fine within Photoshop, but when I export it to PNG or import the PSD into another program, you see the same light grey background.
I have attached screen show if the PNG file opened in a viewer.

(Now, I could take that PNG file, bring it back into Photoshop, and then create a transparent background using the light grey backgound, and resave the PNG, but it loses quality in the conversion, as well as this having to be a very poor work process).

PNG Export.PNG

thebestcpu

Guru
There are a number of ways to fix you issue yet first here is the root cause.

The Layer next up from the background Layer is what controls the shadows. The reason you have some gray left in the background is that the Layer Mask is not totally black in the surrounding areas and leaves a bit of gray.

So the fix is the fix that Layer Mask. Here are the steps that are color coded with the image below (from example PSD)

The red arrow points to the Layer Mask that is causing the problem yet also provides the nice shadows you want to keep (orange arrows)

Place a number of color samplers using color sample tool outside yet near the desired shadows (yellow)

Turn on the info panel to observe the values of the sampler points (left panel in image). I suggest setting the viewing values to transparency (noted as K values)

With Layer Mask Selected, use the Image > Adjustments > Curve command and adjust the black point slider (green) until the K valiues in the info panel show the target value to be 100% or full transparency.

Click OK on the Curves panel and your problem should be gone.

If this is not clear just ask more questions

John Wheeler

Get-rid-of-gray-background.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Test

With John's adjustment to the layer mask and without the background layer turned on (transparent BG), we still have the grey overlay.
Perfect_Binding_Brochure_Mockup_1 copy2.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 10.49.07 AM.png

With John's adjustment to the layer mask and without the background layer turned on (transparent BG), and the "Highlights" layer turned off.
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 10.48.21 AM.png
We now have eliminated the grey overlay, but done away with the "highlights" layer. Transparency preserved.
Perfect_Binding_Brochure_Mockup_1.3.1 copy.png

With new "all white" background adjustment layer. Highlight layer on. The grey overlay disappears (because of the Screen blending mode) but we lose transparency.
Perfect_Binding_Brochure_Mockup_1.2.2.2.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 10.51.12 AM.png

So the additional fix if you want a transparent BG is to remake a more compatible "highlights layer".

EDIT: I apologize, I did not download @colleague's file to see that he addressed the "highlights" layer issue. A bit absent minded today! colleague's fix combined with John's fix should solve your problem!!!

JeffK

Guru
Wouldn't it be simpler just to select and mask out the book then add a new drop shadow?
Shadow wouldn't be the same but you would accomplish the objective more simply?
- Jeff
booklet edited.png

Photoshopphil

John's (thebestcpu) solution fixed the issue for me. Thanks so much.

So I haven't had a need to try any of the solutions that followed, but as John did mention, there is more than one solution to the issue.

I know the original file was made available at no charge, but wondering if the original issue would be described as a 'fault' or at least an area for improvement, as one would think that many of these mockups would be used in applications where a transparent background would be required.

In any case, thanks to everyone who offered assistance.

It is like completing a puzzle, you feel as though you are so close to having a solution, but until you do, it keeps gnawing at you.

thebestcpu

Guru
John's (thebestcpu) solution fixed the issue for me. Thanks so much.

So I haven't had a need to try any of the solutions that followed, but as John did mention, there is more than one solution to the issue.

I know the original file was made available at no charge, but wondering if the original issue would be described as a 'fault' or at least an area for improvement, as one would think that many of these mockups would be used in applications where a transparent background would be required.

In any case, thanks to everyone who offered assistance.

It is like completing a puzzle, you feel as though you are so close to having a solution, but until you do, it keeps gnawing at you.

Your welcome @Photoshopphil

I have not used the mockups or read any of their instructions yet if there is a lack of instructions of how to control that background transparency then that is an error in clear instructions and if that is the result whenever you use the mockup psd files, that would feel to me as an oversight for a common need.

Yet hey, they are free and sometimes that's associated with a less than perfect quality control process that professional companies should have (yet don't always)

I understand about being so close yet still having an unsolved issue. Solving can be fun to a point yet not so fun after that point. Apparently all forum members that participated discover additional quality holes in those mockups which is good to know about.
John Wheeler