What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost detail in over saturated colours lit by neon LEDs

Noz03

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the camera sensor or my screen not being able to register such strong colours but when something is lit by such extreme coloured light I seem to lose detail in it even when it is not over exposed. They also seem to get some weird colour artifacts going on.

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to fix these images?

I'm using lightroom and sometimes photoshop

Here are some examples:

web_DN3_9410.jpgweb_DN3_9410-2.jpgweb_DN3_9336.jpgweb_DN3_9336-2.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Noz03

First, the image is overexposed in the red and blue channels and your are losing detail.

The good news is that it looks like you have figured out how to recover the luminosity detail fairly well.

So, just take your original image and then File > Place embedded your luminosity image and set the blend mode to Luminosity.

That does most the work then your could turn both Layers into a Smart Object and fine tune with the Camera Raw Filter.

I did just the above and here is what came out. Hope that helps

John Wheeler

web_DN3_9410-adj.jpg