What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matte colors

loveforvdubs2

Hi there,

I am new to the forum so sorry if this is in the wrong section. I am trying to photoshop my motorcycle to have a flat black or matte black paint but I am getting stuck. I can achieve a gloss black using Hue/Saturation and Levels but I am not sure how to achieve the flat black look.

loveforvdubs2

Thanks for the help. Here is a picture of the motorcycle I would like to photoshop and what I would like the paint to look like.
197470_148817515181788_113946555335551_300119_2354951_n.jpgflat m3.jpg

loveforvdubs2

Correct. Essentialy I would like to take the paint job of the car and put it on the motorcycle.

Last edited:

loveforvdubs2

Not really, I think I miscommunicated. I would like to replace the red paint of the motorcycle with the black paint of the car.

loveforvdubs2

Thanks. I got to that point. But now I am not sure how to change that image from a gloss black to a flat black. I tried changing the middle value in the levels adjustment and that helps a little bit but not much. Essentially I need to take the image you just produced and make it non-reflective. Here is rough idea of what I am so far, but I am not sure how to change the black paint of the bike from a gloss into a flat. black_bike.jpg

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I'd have 2 ways of doing this.....

For the above.... I isolated all the red parts.... created a new layer.... and filled the selection with a sample black matte color from the car picture. Then set the layer mode. Layer 1 was set to color mode and layer 1 copy to multiply... play with the opacities of both layers till you get the color you need.

Another way is to do as I outlined above..... but this time add a non destructive hue and saturation adjustment layer on top of all the layers. you can even add a levels and brightness adjustment layers on top.

Hope this rough work and outline helps.... lol....

loveforvdubs2

I am also using CS4. I am not sure how to go from the black that you achieved to the flat black as the car though. I think I need to somehow subdue the highlights so that they aren't as strong.

acekin

Perhaps something like this? Matte surface, less reflective, weaker highlights if any, small tonal changes to shape contours. That's what I aimed for.

bike.jpg

acekin

I presume you disapprove the treatment dv8_fx? Would you care to elaborate? There are actually 5 separate adjustment layers the opacity of each can be adjusted according to taste and need. Matte paint would not have created the heavy specular highlights creating the dull look.

Last edited:

loveforvdubs2

Thanks everyone for all the help. Acekin that is pretty close to what I am looking for, but it still appears a bit shiny to me. Which adjustment layers did you use?